Any suggestons on getting my 6-week old to sleep through the night?

Mom4ever413

Asked by Mom4ever413 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your kidding right? That aint going to happen until you baby is much older. Get used to it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Wait until he/she is ready. Could be days, could be a year! Sorry, just how it is.
    Anonymous

• Not going to happen too soon, hun. Nor would I encourage it. I am sorry. My son did not start sleeping through the night until nine months old. Six-weeks-old infants are too small to go more than 4 hours between feedings. Your little one will sleep though the night when she is good and ready. Sleeping through the night is a development milestone that every baby achieves at their own rate. But by four or five months old, your little one -might- go as long as five or six hours between feedings at nighttime. Five hours of straight sleep at night is considered sleeping through the night. Until then... nap when the baby naps.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 5:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• One of mine slept through at 6 weeks (9pm-5am), but I didn't do anything. It was all on him. You can't MAKE a baby sleep. If they are ready to sleep through, they will.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• The PP's are right - you really can't. Yes, some babies do sleep through the night at an early age. Most don't. And there is nothing you can do to change it. Here's the common ages:
    5 hours in a row (the official "sleep through the night" meaning): most will do this by 6 months.
    8 hours in a row: most will do this by 9 months.
    Bedtime to morning: most will do this by 12 months.

There is an old wives tale that putting cereal in a bottle will make a child sleep through the night. It's just that, an old wives tale. Of the moms I know who tried (about 8) it, it didn't work for any of them.
    There is another old wives tale that formula fed babaies sleep through the night sooner than breastfed babies. This is another false rumor. What you feed the baby will not change sleeping habits. I know 3 breastfed babies who slept through the night far sooner than my formula fed baby.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• You have quite a ways to go...they still need to eat every couple hours at that age.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Nope. They do it when they are ready. My 19 mo old still does not sleep all night.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I am in agreement with everybody else. Your baby will sleep for longer stretches when he/she is ready to do so. Just wait for it, and in the mean time, take lots of naps. (=
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 2:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2009