what are some good healthy cheap meal ideas?

what are some good healthy cheap meal ideas for a large family of like 12? Im living with my parents and my sisters and brothers still live there too and also my kids and we are trying to learn how to get alot of food or meal ideas for a little. Please help me if you can. any help is appreciated

iluvmymomasboys

Asked by iluvmymomasboys at 5:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Food & Drink

• http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Ten-Meals-on-10/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Cooking-on-a-Budget-Winter-Edition/Detail.aspx
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• spaghetti, its the first thing i can think of. Probably nothing ut of a box will feed that many at once. I like the links destiny posted too.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• try making pork pulled sandwiches,or even beef cook it on low all night drain the grease,and add your own bbq sauce,it makes quite a bit for good size crowd.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 6:21 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Hamburger stroganoff is really good. Its just hamburger meat, cream of mushroom soup, and sour cream over egg noodles. Yum!
    Chas21

Answer by Chas21 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• any kinds of hamburger or tuna helpers
    Anonymous

• This is not a meal idea but a meal resource. I order from the Angel Food Network and prepare meals from that. Its reduced costs for foods with high quality. It has saved me a ton on groceries.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• PLEASE do not take this the wrong way but not very many of the suggestions here I would consider to be healthy to be honest with you. Hamburger meat often contains the "left-overs" of the cow that no one wants ground up. It can contain up to 7 time MORE fat than white meat. BBQ sauce is packed with sugar which makes you fat, especially around the tummy area. It also over-works the pancreas. Processed noodles found in the "helpers" as well as white spaghettis cannot actually be digested properly by our digestive system. They stick to the lining of our intestines causing fatigue of our intestinal muscles and yeast infections in both the colon and the vagina (in women, because they're in close proximity). This also includes white rice and white processed breads. Also watch the sodium content in some of these things. Some ready-made or foods in packaging contain more than twice the daily allowance of salt.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:30 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• What I would do is cook as you normally do but substitute anything processed (breads, grains, rices, cheeses, meats) and replace it with something fresh (whole grain, no lunch meat, no cheap sausages etc.) and make sure to include plenty of fiber. To save money, purchase frozen vegitables in bulk. Frozen is often better than fresh (especially in the off-season) because it is picked, blanched and frozen closest to it's original nutritional state (and is known to contain less pesticides than fresh as well). Buy whole grain rice and pastas in bulk. Look up recipes for your own gravies and sauces and don't add salt or sugar (or very little of the two). Avoid ready-made meals and packet mixes from the store. Buy what's on sale but be a label-reader! Purchase white meat in bulk when it's on sale and freeze for later use.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:34 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Turkey chili. Its cheap, filling, and healthy. What I use for our family of 5 plus a guest or two is 2 lb ground turkey (you can buy the cheaper "roll" packages of ground turkey for around $1/lb), 2 cans kidney beans, 1 pkg chili seasoning, 1 can diced tomatoes. Brown the turkey, add in the canned items undrained, and the package of chili seasoning. Serve with homemade cornbread (or if you must use a packaged mix, substitute 2 egg whites for 1 whole egg and use canola oil to make it healthier).

Another one of our favorites is homemade burritos. To make 2 burritos per person, I use 2 lb ground turkey and 1 can fat free refried beans ( or for even cheaper, do the opposite, 2 cans Fat free refried beans to 1 lb ground turkey). Brown the turkey, add in the beans, mix the seasoning packet with water and add that. Serve on tortillas with chopped lettuce, tomato, onion and if you prefer, jalapenos or cilantro. Its very yummy too
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I've made stir fry with meat strips & frozen or fresh veggies, then served over lentils instead of rice. The kids loved it! I've also served homemade spaghetti sauce ( no sugar ) over lentils, topped with a bit of cheese; homemade burritos; bean soup; lentil stew; homemade chicken stew with homemade dumplings; homemade beef stew with homemade biscuits.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2009