tantrums

My son has this new thing that when he doesn't get what he wants he screams to the top of his lungs and falls on the floor any advice on this.

NicholeAT

Asked by NicholeAT at 5:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• pick him up and take him to his room shut the door and tell himyou know he is mad and thats ok but you dont allow yelling like that and if he wants to do it he has to do it in his room. Then leave and make him stay untill he can stop. It wont be long and he will get the picture.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• It's a cry for attention. Isolate him until he calms down in a spot where you know he won't hurt himself. When he's calmed down, come back and talk to him. Explain why his behavior is inappropriate and why it won't get him any attention or get what he wants. Explain what some good alternatives to having a tantrum might be (asking nicely, etc), and explain that nobody ever gets what they want all the time. Reward him when he uses a better strategy to get things, like asking nicely. When he realizes that his poor behavior doesn't work but the good behavior does, he will not throw tantrums any more.
    twinkie925

Answer by twinkie925 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't say a word and I'd leave the room.  If he follows you, keep ignoring him and walking away until he stops.  Once he stops, then get down to his eye level and in a low, firm voice explain to him that the screaming and throwing himself is unacceptable behavior.  Teach him some acceptable alternatives.  My older son was allowed to say loudly "I am very angry" or "I am very frustrated."  When he chose the acceptable behavior, I would drop everything, give him my full attention, and help him work through the specific problem.  It really empowered him and stopped the crying and whining.  He also got the attention he wanted and as a bonus did not embarrass himself, lol.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 8:51 PM on Mar. 27, 2009