• In the Spotlight:

a little unsure

So my fiance and i want to get a new car but he said we cant afford it unless i go back to work to help out financially (which i totally understand) but no really good jobs can work with my hours i can work like id have to be home by 3 at the latest so he can go to work since we only have one car we cant afford a second car but my question is i was thinking of going to the gas station by my parents and working there part time just for some money do you think thats a good idea? Like even if i work 6a-2p i just need something any opinions or advice, we really really need a new car

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• I've worked at gas stations before and the morning isn't so bad but you have to be tough to deal with idiots, a lot of drunks, etc...
    Anonymous

• There is a program through Denver public Schools called Kaleidoscope Corner that provides before and after school care, and some care during the school day for kids in ECE. You can choose which programs you want to work, It sounds like the Early Risers and/or Kadoodles and Lunchbunch would be good for you. The starting pay is $10/hr (if you have no experience) and $13 if you have some experience and education. Early Riser hours are 6am-9am. Not sure about lunchbunch and kadoodles, but both are done by 3pm at the latest. Go to DPS and checkout the HR website if you're interested.
    twinkie925

Answer by twinkie925 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I feel its important for mothers to be home with their children. If you can find a job while they are school that's perfect. Good Luck!

Anonymous

• Another suggestion is check wit your kids school often times they need cafeteria workers or yard duty workers.
    Mommy3b1g

Answer by Mommy3b1g at 6:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Gas stations don't sound very safe since you have children. What about places like Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Peets Coffee, yogurt store, etc.? It sounds like your children are school age. If not and you need to send your kids to daycare while you work, the cost of daycare and your income may even out, so you might as well stay home. Hope that makes sense.
    starandseen

Answer by starandseen at 6:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Purchasing anything, houses, cars, more electronics or even vacations with the stipulation of a mother working is very precarious. Mothers are the first ones to have to leave work with a childs illness. They are the ones who have to miss work to stay home for these same reasons.

If the monthly obligation of a new car would demand that you MUST bring in the extra money, then I would say that it would not be a wise purchase. If you can't afford it now, or even afford to be putting back money to save,then you will likely run into trouble paying later should you not be able to work, b/c of pregnancy or illness with the children. I councel families to only purchase what their current income will allow.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:25 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• my dd is only 9 mos old.
    Anonymous

• Work for Yourself.

http://www.doctorsmission.com/

Anonymous