Would you be pissed?

My son's kindergarten class got a new teacher (the first teacher has had to take a leave of absences due to a family problem) and they have recently started focusing on the kids last names, like instead of having their first names written on their chair they now are using only their last names. So his teacher has cornered me a few times telling me how concerned she is because my son doesn't know his name and everyone else in class isn't having any problems. I told her my son does know his last name, has known it for a while and I don't know what else to tell her. She is making a huge deal about and my dh and I just don't understand what the problem is. She wants to have sit down with us to talk about the problem our son is having. Today she sends home a note and it is addressed to Mrs. Rogers about my son and his problem. But MY LAST NAME IS ROBERTS. No reason my son doesn't recognize his name it's not there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'd make arrangements for the meeting and when she addresses you as "Mrs Rogers" I'd ignore her....and when she does something else to gain your attention, you say "Oh...were you speaking to me? I'm Mrs. Roberts and was waiting for you to finish with Mrs Rogers."
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• yeah I'd be pissed I'd first tell her to learn how to spell and get her facts straight and then got to the principle
    WhatevaItTakes

Answer by WhatevaItTakes at 6:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Maybe he is USE to being called by his FIRST name. He may know it, but if they are trying to identify them by their last names then of course he might not get use to it right away, even worse..If she has his last name as ROGERS.
    Anonymous

• lol that's actually pretty funny. I think you need to have a little parent/teacher conference..
    Anonymous

• I would be a little upset but you have to remember she was thrown into a classroom nearly at the end of the year. She is probably overwhelmed with everything. I would just bring it to her attention that your son's last name is Roberts not Rogers and that could be the reason for the "problem".
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• yeah, I bet that teacher is going to feel like a dumbass.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 6:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Shove that right in her face at the meeting too! She needs to get her crap together before she complains about a child. She owes you an apology.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I agree with Jeremysmom but still, before the teacher started talking about his "problem" she could have made sure she had the right name! The way she went about would make any parent defensive if she was implying the child was slower then the others when he's not.
    Anonymous

• OMG...don't take any crap from these teachers. Make sure you bring that letter in & show her why he doesn't recognize his name. I would be so upset at her. You take control of that meeting. Give her an agenda of what you expect from her. For example, number #1 you want your son to have a positive school experience with a healthy environment for a young boy to learn, This is key to success. The poor kid he must of been so confused when the teacher kept saying the wrong last name.

Anonymous

• What really upsets me about it is that she made me doubt my son. I knew he knew his last name he can spell it without help. He can point it out, he can write it. But she is the teacher and because she is the teacher I doubted him. She made a big deal about it not only to me but in front of the whole class.
    Anonymous