What's the dumbest thing a teacher has told you?

Another question got me thinking about this. My niece's teacher once told her class not to call a certain girl "black" because that was rude. She told them to call her "colored" which I think is worse! I know a lot of people don't think colored is offensive but I think it's up to a child's parent how they want their children to refer to a person, not the teacher. So what has a teacher ever said to you that made you want to ask "And you're a teacher?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My sons first grade teacher told me he was left handed because I let him be, that if I made an effort I could change it.... to the "right" way. GRRRR .. He is now 26 and still left handed.
    Pat-S

Answer by Pat-S at 8:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I'm colored. We're all colored. I'd rather call them black. I think most of them would prefer it too. This teacher use to give me paddlings all the time, almost every day because I was struggling in math. I was only 10 and in the 5th grade. I didn't know how to do it, so I would just skip them.
    The first time she paddled me she told me to bend over as far as I could and it wouldn't hurt as bad. She LIED, but I didn't know it at the time. Every one knows that it hurts worse like that.
    Anonymous

• Colored is extremely offensive. Unbelievable. Someone needs to speak with the teacher.

Anonymous

• What's up with all the hatred toward teachers tonight? If I have to put up with parent's like y'all then I am definitely going to rethink about becoming a teacher.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• After I had my son I needed to have my enrollment approved by my advisor. She told me not to bother coming back, it would be a waste of my time and people with children shouldnt try to finish their degrees. Lovely lady huh?
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Dumbest thing a teacher ever did say to me was my son was ADHD when he was diagnosed with Autism. She was so insistant that I took my son to be screened knowing he didnt have it,. Our pediatrician called the school and asked where the teacher got her medical degree, and made sure she understood her job was to teach and to leave the diagnosing of disorders to those with medical training. I high fived her.

Answer by gemgem at 6:29 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Jeremysmom, I don't mean all teachers. Of course there are great teachers out there but I'm asking about the ones who seem to be in the wrong profession.
    Anonymous

• In HS - I (honest) had an Algebra II teacher who while handing back the previous days tests told us if we hadn't scored at least a B on this test to not even bother applying to college as we'd never make it!!

I closed up my books and bag and immediately after class walked to the payphones by the office; called my mom at work and told her to call the principal and have me transferred to another class - I CAN NOT learn from someone with that attitude and I refuse to return to his class. Yep I was transferred no problem and I ended up passing that course with a B overall from the 'new' teacher and math is DEF not one of my strong suits!

What a jerk he was!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• my math teacher in high school told me I was too stupid to make a man a good wife because I couldnt understand the math...joke's on his ass... I make more money that he does now...and I have a wonderful husband....
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 6:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My homeroom teacher didn't like me and another girl in my class and he asked the whole class who wanted to bet that we would both have kids by the time we were 16. WTF?! It's not like we were little skanks or dressed like one. I seriously don't know what prompted him to say that but my mom had a few choice words for him!
    Anonymous