Transitioning from 1 child to 2 children?

Please help me!!!
I just recently had another baby. I already had a toddler that is almost 3. He's always been a high needs child.
My new baby is as mellow as can be.
What things should I be doing to make this transition easier for my toddler?
Since his baby brother has been born, he's had tons of meltdowns and tantrums (normal, I know) and nap time and bedtime are hell ( when they were very easy before).
BTW- Spanking is not an option, my toddler is already an assertive child. Spanking would only make matters worse.

nwdeserangel

Asked by nwdeserangel at 6:22 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, it's very normal and it will take time to mend the jealousy fence. Try to set aside special time for your 3 year old so he knows he's not forgotten but expect the meltdowns to continue. We had the same problem and just when I wanted to pummel my older son was when I needed to love him the most. Boost security. Hang in there. It'll drive you nuts for a while but will improve.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• You have to do whats best for your family. My transitions were different everytime. Luckily for me my first transition my eldest was the more calmer and my second was a handful. Just a suggestion I would include him with everything. and at bed and nap time I would make it about him needing his sleep so that he can help more when he gets up. plus kids feed off energy so if you feel yourself overwhelmed try and take a time out.
    Mommy3b1g

Answer by Mommy3b1g at 6:29 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I would definitely buy him a big brother book, you can get them at Babies R Us and it celebrates the fact that he is a big brother yay! Also spend as much time with him as you can and let him know that he is playing an important role in his life now and he has the chance to now be a role model, let him help you with things around the house like making bottles, changing diapers, helping fill up the diaper bag, refilling the wipes case, anything to keep him involved, i would definitely have what i call special time, which is doing ANYTHING he wants to do (i have a basket filled with goodies, blocks, puzzles, games, coloring books, etc) try to keep special time less than 30 minutes so he doesnt get frustrated when you have to tend to the baby, i do mine for 5-15 minute increments atleast twice a day. Ofcourse this is in addition to the other times i spend with my boys. Good Luck!!! Give lots of hugs and kisses!
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2009