Job Losses From Obama Green Stimulus Foreseen in Spanish Study

It ain't easy being green! Obama's plan to add 5,000,000 protected green jobs, which don't produce/generate income, will end up costing us over 10,000,000 existing jobs! How is our rising unemployment, failing economy and massive debt ever going to recover from this plan?!

***

"For every new position that depends on energy price supports, at least 2.2 jobs in other industries will disappear"

"In Spain...wind turbines provided 11% of power demand last year, generators earn rates as much as 11 times more for renewable energy compared with burning fossil fuels"

"The premiums paid for solar, biomass, wave and wind power...translated into a $774,000 cost for each Spanish “green job” created since 2000"

“The loss of jobs could be greater if you account for the amount of lost industry that moves out of the country due to higher energy prices”

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a2PHwqAs

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 6:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• How many people told him his "plan" wasn't going to work? I've lost count
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 7:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Not shocking. The best economists told him this plan wasnt going to work.
    Anonymous

• Honestly does this really effect you in any way, form or fashion. Answer truthfully.
    Anonymous

• I believe we won't recover from his plan, which is exactly why I don't support it.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• First of all, we can not compare our country to Spain. While its modern and similar, it is not the US. We have a different culture (or blends of cultures), we have different natural resources to utilize, and we have a different set of public officals and citizens.

Secondly, yes, providing more green jobs could cost other people their jobs. And that does suck. BUT, we have come to a point in America where we need to start thinking about the economy and the enviornment as a blended issue, not seperate ones. While we are struggling right now, I do believe it will get better. And we will need to re-evaluate and consider what impact we are having on the world's rescources. "Green" and "organic" products and services do cost more than the easier convience items. But, spending a little more now helps our planet more in the long run.

What good would economics or politics do us if the Earth isn't fit to live on?
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:59 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I bet Jimmy Carter who has been giving him tips has been saying don't listen to them B it will work "trust me" .
    Anonymous

• ozarkgirl--
    What good is it to ruin our economy going green and doing everythign for the earth when countries like China and India who collectively have 5 times the people we do have no controls on their pollution, and spew more pollutants into our atmosphere than we could ever offset?

As long as everyone doesn't have to live by the same rules all of our manufacturing jobs are going to move to other countries where they can produce things more cheaply and with less environmental restrictions.

And to ANON 6:37PM...Yes, this WILL affect me and my family personally....as it will affect you and your family personally, and your friends and their families personally, and so on and so on....and that's my being truthful!!!

Increasing the unemployment rate to double digits because we lose 10 MILLION existing jobs to create 5 MILLION green jobs will affect everybody. Obviously you didn't live through the Carter years!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2009