• In the Spotlight:

is it time to potty train a 2 year old

my son turned 2 in dec. he is showing alot of intrest in using the potty i have no idea where to start. we have another baby coming in July would this be a good time to try i have talked to some parents that said they did that and as soon as the 2nd one was here their big kid stop using the potty. Anyone have any helpful details and what is a good potty to get for a boy. Thanks for the help in advance.

Wyattsmom205

Asked by Wyattsmom205 at 7:06 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was around 18-20 months when he started showing interest. We bought him the potty that plays music when he went. I started by taking him before bath, before he got in. I would take him every half hour just to see if he wanted to go, we'd give him some coins to put in his piggy bank just to push it along, he thought he was really doing something. Lots of praise helps of course. Now when I had my daughter when he was 22 months, he kinda backed off of it. He wanted a diaper like the baby, a bottle, etc. But he went right back to it Now my daughter is 20 months and a month ago she started wanting to go. She's not done yet but she's going potty alot! We're getting close to being done with diapers yay! . It takes some time but if he's showing interest go for it. Good Luck!
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 7:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• A girl I used 2 work with has 3 boys and she told me she made it in to a game. She'd put a few cheerios in the training potty and tell them they were suppose 2 aim 4 the cheerios, she said they learned quick because it was fun 4 them
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 9:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Let him pick his potty! Getting him completely involved will help and if you are sure about training get rid of all the diapers. Once you start you shouldnt go back it makes things much harder. My son potty trained at about 2 yrs right before I had his sister and he didnt wanna go back to diapers when I had her
    Anne.Marie

Answer by Anne.Marie at 11:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Ugh I am in the process of getting my son PT'd. He will be 2 April 21st. He was doing REALLY well for a couple weeks and he would go in the potty everytime..but we just moved and havent been able to be home a lot, and since he wont go when we're on the go, he is used to using the diaper again...so we are having to start over.. Which it's harded this time.. because he doesnt want to use the potty now. So when you do start, stay home as much as possible!!
    WaylensMommy

Answer by WaylensMommy at 9:23 AM on Mar. 28, 2009