Anyone know if Fenugreek has any side effects?

I'm having to take Fenugreek now because I am no longer producing enough milk for my baby. The pharmacy recommended that I take it, but I'd like to hear what other moms think about it and if they had any side effects from it, and how long it took to get their milk supply back.

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 7:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it works almost instantly and the only thing ive heard ofis you shouldn't take it if you have bleeding problems. It's a blood thinner apparently. But yes, I use it and yes it works. 3pills 3x a day. also, eat a bowl of oatmeal a day.that helps A LOT
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Thanks girl. :)
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 7:19 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I was also told to use fenugreek or "Mothers Milk" tea which has fenugreek and some other stuff. It didn't work for me though so I had to go ahead and take a prescription of Reglan. I was given a 10 day supply, but I only had to take it for a day and a half before it worked. I would try the fenugreek or the mothers milk tea first, but if it doesn't work talk to your doctor about taking the prescription ASAP so you don't completely dry out!
    Anonymous

• First, not trying to bash, but what makes you think you have a milk supply problem? It's very common for women to think that they have a supply problem when they really don't. The best way to decided is by diaper count- as long as your baby is producing at least 6 wet diapers per day, you're fine.

Fenugreek does work. I took 4 capsules 3 times a day and within about 3 days could notice a big difference. It makes you smell maple syrup- that's supposed to be when it starts working- is when you start to smell!

Very, very rarely a baby may show a sour reaction to your taking fenugreek.

You need to make sure your getting enough stimulation- that baby is on the breast often enough, or you're pumping. If this isn't happening, fenugreek won't make everything all better.

Best of luck! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 8:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Looks like your baby is 4 months old. Babies hit a growth spurt at this age, so just because she's eating more and is more frequently hungry doesn't necessarily mean you're not making enough milk. Your body will adjust to what she needs.

Just a thought...I don't know your story, so....
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 8:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I use fenugreek! It works within 12 hrs. for me. You can take 2 at a time for even faster results. I haven't had any problems with it.
    Clarkebar2

Answer by Clarkebar2 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Let me invite you to dropby the Breastfeeding Moms Group. On our Resources Forum, we've got a couple of stickies on how to judge your supply and how to increase it. I think they'll help.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:58 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• You & your baby might smell like maple syrup.

That's it.

Stuff works miracles. Have to take a lot of it, though --- at least 3 pills 3 times/day.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• There are side effects. You shouldn't take it if you hare diabetic or have blood sugar/pressure problems. BUT it is generally safe, you can do a quick search on the side effects.

Definitely go to the group gdiamante recommended! They have tons of resources!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:52 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• There are lots of potential side effects for both mom and baby... check this out if you want: http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/fenugreek.html

Anonymous