How do you help sore nipples?

It has been three weeks and my nipples are soooo sore. Especially the bruised one. Anything I can do to promote healing?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 7:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used the laniosh (sp?) nipple cream. I loved it. I put it on after every feeding for the first few months. GL it will go away just give it time.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 7:51 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Try alternating hot and cold packs. They helped me alot in the beginning. Also I've heard Witch Hazel compresses work well too- I've never tried them tho. Nipple creams in my opinion are a waste. But if it continues to hurt then contact a lactation consultant. Your LO may not be latched on properly. :) HTH
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 7:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• You can get these gel shields, you freeze them and place them on your nipples, it helps alot. There's also a creme you can get that helps keep them moist.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 7:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• after you breastfeed, express a bit more and rub some BM on your nipples and let them air dry...that is the best way to heal cracked nipples that I know of, and you could put some olive oil on them as well.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:15 AM on Mar. 28, 2009