Religion or relationship???

Do you understand the difference between having religion and having a relationship with God. I think people focus too much on how many times a week they go to church or how many church boards they are on, who lives exactly like the bible says. We must remember that we have to have a relationship with God we need to go to him in times of trouble and give him the praise not ourselves or our church. It is nothing but god and his grace and mercy that allows you to live to tell of his glory. He needs you to not only tell the people at your church of his glory but also the people in the street, the woman at the well. Are working on your relationship with god or practicing your religion.

Saved_by_GOD

Asked by Saved_by_GOD at 7:23 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes I do understand and the big thing around here is "relationship, not religion" when asked what their religion is.
    lonelymom911

Answer by lonelymom911 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Yes ... everyday! He is my friend, my Lord, My Savior, My Bridegroom.... I Love Grace for He is Grace and I Love being loved by Him. Religion creates bondage, relationship creates freedom.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I agree! That is what its really all about.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 7:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• There is no "god" in my religion (at least in the way most people think of "god"), so I guess I'd fall into the "practicing my religion" category.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• from childhood to about 22 i had religion. in my teen years i started to question why things were done they way they were...especially if the Bible didnt specify anything. the answer was always "thats just the way we've always done it".

so i stopped going to church every single time & started reading the NT on my own time. i wrote out how i felt everything should be interpreted & then cross referenced it w/ commentaries. ive got a long way to go, but ive learned that its about the relationship you have w/ God, not the rules & regulations of religion.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• :0)
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 8:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Honestly, I don't see how the two can be separated. If you are a Christian or other "organized" faith are you not living according to or believing in some Holy text? Simply doing that is participating in religion, isn't it?
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 8:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• yes, I understand the difference. A person with a relationship with whichever faith they follow, are more at peace, because they have found a connection. Christians with God/Jesus. Pagans with many Gods/esses. Jewish with God. Atheists/agnostics with those around them(family/friends).
    Everyone should have a close relationship in their lives, religiously or otherwise. It's better for the heart that way :).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:42 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• to have a loving relationship with Jesus we must do the things he asks of us which goes hand in hand with being his followers. how can one truly have a relationship if one is not willing to follow Jesus commands which is what so many people call the "Religion" half.....
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Its not a religion,

Its not a Name

Its a relationship with Jesus Christ

Its Being a servant for the Lord

UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 12:34 AM on Mar. 28, 2009