How do I get him to feed himself? Picky almost 3 year old.

My son will be 3 in July. The problem is that he doesn't eat anything. I'm serious, nothing. The only food he gets in him is what we have to force feed him. We don't make him special meals or feed him snacks. If he does have a snack, it is something healthy so I know he's getting some sort of nutrients. I don't know what to do. I know at this point we've just created a big power struggle. I have tried the whole let him starve, he'll eat when he's hungry thing. He doesn't. He goes for days. I'm worried about his weight too since he hasn't gained more than a pound in the last year. Any ideas? The doctor isn't concerned, but I'm not sure he realizes how little he actually does eat.

JessalynnJade

Asked by JessalynnJade at 7:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk it over with the doctor. Make an appointment for at least a week from now. Then document everything he does eat and drink. Keep a good, detailed list and take it in with you. It is hard for doctors to judge "doesn't eat anything" statements but when handed a list of just what he does or doesn't eat, the doctor can do a proper evaluation.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Maybe buy a recipe book with pictures and have your son help you pick out a recipe. Take him to the grocery store and have him help you buy the ingredients. Then let him help you prepare it. Maybe then he will be more apt to eat it.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• dont give him any milk if you do. honestly try it. cut back on juice too. stick with water and only a lil, but especially milk. its considered a filler. i had the same problem with my picky milk loving 2 year old
    LnMrMyLife

Answer by LnMrMyLife at 11:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Do u give him vitamins? And if so does he take them willingly? U could also try blending the foods u want him 2 eat in a blender and put it in his sippy cup and also place food on a plate to get him 2 eat if he chooses not to eat at least he'll have the food you blended in the sippy cup good luck
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 1:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My son is the same way! I have found that the more small snacks we feed him during the day, the more he eats at meal time. This has been the only way to get him to eat besides forcing him. He actually feeds himself!
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 11:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2009