Please help my summer reading list!

I'm expanding my horizons! lol I'd really love to hear some recommendations. I love fantasy, romance, mystery, magic. I'm reading The Given Day by Dennis Lehane right now..he's also written Gone, Baby, Gone and Mystic River which were both made into motion pictures. It's not really something I'd pick up usually, but I'm enjoying it so far. So, any thing that you love, shoot it my way!

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 8:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Anything by Jodi Piccoult. If you want women's issues - Can't Keep it to Myself and I'll Fly Away, both edited by Wally Lamb written by women in a CT prison, books by Wally Lamb are good, The Harry Potter series if you haven't already read them, books by Billie Letts and also Mitch Albom books.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Any book by Tess Gerritsen, Jodi Picoult. The Host by Stephanie Meyer is really good. Tess Gerritsen writes crime thrillers. She was a doctor before she started writing. Harry Potter is a great series as is Twilight. If you like faith based book, the Left Behind series is awesome.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Circle of stones   by ANNA LEE WALDO

the second book is Circle of Stars.

S M Sterlings "Change" series.

as well as his "Island in the sea of time" series.

The Decent: by jeff long

Timeline: by Michael Crichton

Swan Song: by Robert McCammon

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• here is some ideas of what the are about:
    Circle of stones and Circle of stars: historical fiction books. Based in Wales during the time when the new religion and old religion were fighting. The first book is based namely on a woman named Brenda who has a son and is a mistress to the Lord. Some of the characters are based on real people.

The change series is about how the world is hit with this large ball of light, which changes some of the molecules and atoms. This basically destroys all electricity as well as guns because of the rate that things burn, so it's about families pulling together and basically starting over from little to nothing. And their trials and loves, etc. I'm on the 5th book of this, the next one comes out later this year.

Island in the Sea of Time is a series that is about the town Nantucket, and how it is sent back to 1200 BC. Yet they are the only ones in the world with technology.

cont.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• the decent is more of a horror book. About a city of creatures called Hadels (sp?) that live underground, which is where Christians got the idea of demons (completely fictional book). The movie is very loosely based on the first chapter of the book. Which leaves a lot of the book that never was seen. Great book about how humans learn to try to accept these creatures and vise versa. etc.

timeline is loosely based on the movie, however the book goes into way more detail about the relationships of each person and what actually was going on.

Swan Song is about the world going to war,and the after effects of those that survived. Although half way through it get's a little into a fantasy thing, were there is a crown of melted gems that tells the future, it's still a very very good book.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Circle Trilogy by Nora Roberts

Morrigan’s Cross
    Dance of the Gods
    Valley of Silence

I loved these books. Definitely have Fantasy, Mystery, Magic, and Romance. Have some on ebay right now for $5. The item number is 300303012307. It's not me selling them, your library would probably have them too.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 4:42 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Have you read The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley? It's a great book, albeit quite long. It's a re-telling of the King Arthur legend as seen through the eyes of the women. It's very mystical and magical, full of passionate, powerful women who cast spells and basically rule the world they live in. It takes place at the crossover from pagan to Christian religions and raises a lot of questions about the shift. It's a page-turner for sure, and a great summer read.
    plantgirl

Answer by plantgirl at 3:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• I like Ted Dekker books: http://www.faithfulreader.com/authors/au-dekker-ted.asp
    He also has a few new ones out. Here's his official website: www.teddeker.com

I like Terri Blackstock, especially the Restoration series (Last Light, Night Light, True Light, Dawn's Light). Her Cape Refuge Series, Newpointe 911 Series, and Sun Coast Chronicles are also good.

Frank Peretti is another favorite, along with Sigmund Brouwer.

And Creston Mapes' books Dark Star and Full Tilt are another two favorites!

Have a great time with your summer reading!

PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 9:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Underdead and Underdead In Denial, by Liz Jasper.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:52 PM on Mar. 30, 2009