a question from one c-section mommy to others.

did anybody jump right into an exercise program immediately after their six week check-up? my first son was an emergency c-section, and i remember feeling perfectly fine and beginning light exercise by four weeks. however this time around, i have a pretty rigorous training program set up at about seven weeks after i give birth.

so, does anybody have an experience like that? did any problems arise with starting an exercise regime so early?

swagger

Asked by swagger at 8:21 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I'm not sure it's a good idea. Remember this is your second c section and (second baby?) so things aren't going to be the same as they were last time. I had a rude awakening when my son was just born. I remember the old advice of "sleep when the baby sleeps" and when you have two or more children, that no longer applies. I really didn't think about that beforehand and not getting enough sleep has slowed me down quite a bit. I don't think it's good to set unrealistic goals for yourself or you could just end up making things worse. Just play it by ear,if everything goes fine and you get enough sleep and enough time to take care of everything else plus jump on this exercise routine then you go girl. I had my son almost 2 months ago, and I have just started walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes a day and that's all I have time and energy for.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I didn't I was too exhausted honestly. I agree with the PP, I'd give it a little longer than the minimum, just because it's baby number 2 and you could take longer to heal. I'd say 3 months is plenty though. Listen to your body and do what you feel comfortable doing. I just wouldn't push it too soon. Congrats and good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:32 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I healed soooo much faster the second c-section around. I was jumping in and out of bed (yes, JUMPING!) rolling around, sleeping on my tummy... all barely a week after having the surgery. I worked out lots sooner the second time around and felt fine. I had doc's permission and watchful eye on me so I felt great about my choice and didn't have any issues.

I could NOT have done it the first time around though! NO WAY!

Just listen to your body and be sure to work up to what you want over the weeks. Walk sooner, walk longer periods of time each passing week. Try some pushups and using light dumbells. If you feel yourself pushing too hard, back it up and start lighter again.
    LoveMyBlessings

Answer by LoveMyBlessings at 3:32 AM on Mar. 30, 2009