having kids close in age?

Hi my name is marlo i have a 2 month old son, and although he was just born not to long ago, i find myself wanting another already. Now i love my son to death and am very happy that i have him but now want to try for a daughter. Now i dont plan on talking to DH about trying again until he is atleast a year old. I was just wondering if i should wait longer than a year to start trying again and also how is it having childrenclose in age? Is it harder/ easier than you thought? What's your preferred age difference? TYIA for your help!

mom2tristan09

Asked by mom2tristan09 at 8:23 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't have a preferred age, but my kids are 17 months apart and I love it. They can play with each other do pretty much the same thing. Both are now toddlers and it helps because they love to play with each other. I have a girl and a boy.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 8:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I got pregnant with each of mine 1 yr -11/2 yrs apart. However you should know there are risks to having them that close.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I recommend waiting. I missed out on a lot of my son's babyhood because I became pregnant (surprise!) so quickly and it was a difficult pregnancy. They're 11 months apart and I would NEVER recommend doing it that close on purpose.
    Anonymous

• My girls are 18 months apart and I would do it all over again. Having two the same age is so much easier than one I think, my girls are the best of friends!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 9:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I have 3 kids and there are about 19 month in between each. It has it's good points and bad points... they play together great and there wasn't much jealousy when a new baby came along. But it can be exhausting and I realized that I tended to encourage the older 2 to "be big girls" more than I probably would have because there was a baby to deal with. I'm happy with it though and wouldn't change a thing. I do dread having 3 teenage girls though =)
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I personally would wait as long as possible. My husband wants two that are close, but that's exactly what I don't want. I'm happy with one who has lots of friends and playdates. No sibling rivalry. I have a younger brother and sister who are 3 and 4 years younger than I am (just a year apart from each other) and we all HATE each other. My aunt has a 3 year old and twin 19 month olds. She planned both pregnancies but now hates and regrets having so many so close. Of course she didn't plan on having twins, but ya know.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My first 2 are 6 years apart then babies 3 & 4 are 12 mos apart. I prefer the 12 mos apart. They play well together and keep each other company. I wish I would have had them all 12 mos apart.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I absolutely love having my boys close together. They are 13 months apart. It wasn't the plan but I wouldn't change if for anything. I am now pregnant with #3. My youngest will be 20 months when his baby sister arrives. Everyone says even how close that is. I kinda feel bad that the boys have each other and she is so much younger than them! I do think that having kids close in age all depends on your personality and on the children's personality as well. My oldest is very laid back and easy going, my second is not. If my second was my oldest perhaps I would not feel the same about having them so close.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• To me right now its hard bc they fight, wrestle etc, they are just turned 3 and just turned 5, and when my youngest was about 18 months, uh oh, thats when the fighting and all that started but my oldest was sooo easy as a toddler, so having another baby wasnt a big deal, im sooo waiting for awhile to have another one lol
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My kids are 15 months, 13 months and 3 1/2 year apart and I much, much preferred the closer gaps. When my youngest was born it just sucked. I could not get back into baby mode and was more tired then when I was trying to care for 3 under 3. 15-18 months would be ideal for me.

They are 8 1/2, 7 1/2, 6 and almost 3 now and, for the most part, get along great. The only plus I found with the 3 year gap was my older kids could do more to help. My youngest, thought, grew up super fast to keep up with her older siblings. She'll be 3 next month and already acts like a 4yo and wants to do everything for herself (and pretty much can).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2009