is this legal?

The owner of the triplex I live has decided he no longer wants to pay for the building's tap water but there is only one meter for the building. So what he has been doing is when he gets the bill he sends each of the three apartments a copy and expects us all to go to the office and pay one third. My husband and I have a studio but our neighbors each have a two bedroom and a one bedroom. I asked the water company and they told me that apartment A (the two bedroom) uses two thirds of the water used by the building so yeah, I am a little pissed.

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• If there were meters for each complex then yes he can have you pay for the water. Since he only has one I would say no, but not sure. That is ridiculous. I'm sure there are more or less people in an apartment and not everyone takes showers, washes clothes etc. everyday so how is that fair to split the bill three ways? Call your local city hall or look in your white pages for tenants rights.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• No i don't think so but you'll have to check your lease to see what it says.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• E veryone's lease say's we have to pay for water and trash service but what I was wonderig if he can divide up the water bill like that when there is only one meter.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• That I don't know. If your lease isn't specific, it very well could be legal. It sucks but....
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• if the water company is able to determine that apartment A uses 2/3 of the water then they should be able to send you individual water bills for the amount of water each apartment uses.
    mawmaw-cynthia

Answer by mawmaw-cynthia at 8:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• That's what I told them but they said they can't because there is only one meter.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Yes like mawmaw said, if the water company can determine who is using what then ask them to start sending the bills separately.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• OP, my mother owns two houses on one lot and there is only one meter. They cannot determine which house uses more or less because of the one meter. It's just one bill for both homes. My cousins live in the back house and they pay most of the bill since my mother is the only person in her house. I really suggest you do some calling in the morning. It really doesn't seem right.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I did but they refused because the water bill must legally be in the owner's name and there is only one meter.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I am beginning to wonder if she was just guessing at how much water apartment A must use. Maybe she can't really tell for sure.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 27, 2009