Bottle PLEASE NO BASHING

My dauhgter is 9 months old. I give her a bottle in her bed to get her to go to sleep...HOw do I get her out of this habbit? Also I want to get done with the passy also...

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 8:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't let her have it. She is old enough to throw a little fit when she doesn't get it. Hold her if you have to, let her cry in her crib while you stand next to her reassuring her that you are there for her. Pick her up only if she becomes hysterical. You can do it.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• If the bottle has anything other than water, try replacing the drink with water.
    Give her less and less in the bottle over a period of a few weeks or a month.
    When the bottle will just be empty, cut a bigger hole in the nipple. She won't get any suction and it won't be so fun anymore.
    (Probably by this point, she will not care about the bottle, anyway)
    As for the pacifier, cut a hole in it also to make it lose it's suction.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:42 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• You feed her the bottle before you lay her to sleep in her crib. I have a 9 month old. This is what I do. I'd let her keep her passy till she's 12 months.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:42 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• When she was in your womb she was sucking her thumb. It calms them down when they are born they still rely on that soothing effect. Try some other methods of soothing her. Holding her, rocking her or her favorite toy to take her mind off of that paci.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:46 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I agree that if you are going to give her a bottle put water in it or she can get dry rot. It happened to my friends 3 year old. Or just take it away completely.

Anonymous

• Just quit doing it! Let her CIO it'll only take a few nights and she'll get used to it.
    Anonymous

• I would hold her while she drinks her bottle and when she is done, put her in the crib and offer the pacifier. She is still very young, I don't see why you'd want to wean her from the bottle or pacifier before she's one. But don't give her bottle in her crib anymore. It will cause severe tooth decay and ear infections. If she -must- have a bottle in her crib, give her water instead. But I wouldn't... just feed her before you lay her down so she has full tummy, and that would also help to break the habit.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:15 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I have this same problem! My son will take his naps with out a bottle, but not bed time! I am so stuck about what to do. thank you for asking this question though. its so nice to know im not the only one with this issue
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 5:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My hubby stopped takin his bottle whenever his mom put mud on it. He seen that it was dirty and wouldn't dare touch it again!! Same with the pacifier.
    tykesmommy

Answer by tykesmommy at 2:29 AM on Mar. 30, 2009