• In the Spotlight:

how to get the behavior under control?

First off I am posting this for my sister, she has no computer and is asking me to do this and knows all about the proces from me bragging about cm all the time. That said she has a 3 yo dd, and she is entirely unruley. She screams demands attention, hits and throws their cat, breaks things on purpose, etc. It is not due to lack of parenting. She disciplines her the same way the do her other kids and she is the only one acting this way or to ever think of acting this way. The main thing she needs to addres is when she says to do something and she doesnt do it she will try to mover her away (like she is puling the cats tail, mom says no, dd still does it, and mom goes to mover her away from the cat) and when she grabs (not horribly rough just in a way to get her attention)her arm, she will throw herself accros the room and head first into a door, wall, whatever she can, and start screaming (cont in responses)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes, I would seek some professional help. They can steer her in the right direction. I would probably start with my childs pediatrician. They can refer her to the right type of Dr.

Hope it gets better for her. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• "momy (or dady or me or whoever is watching her) you threw me into the (insert object here)" This is not just her throwing herself, but she has cut her head open, has huge bruises on her shoulder and forhead, has broken stuff, cut herself al in the proces of doing this. Everyone says to let her do it and she will hirt hersef and not do it anymore, but obviously it isnt working. Is she to young to have an anger problem? There isnt anything going on in her life that anyone can think of to cause behavior like this. She is debating counseling but not sure if she is to young. Advice? She is afraid that dd will tell this to the wrong person and get her taken away because they think she is throwing her, which she isn't.
    Anonymous

• She is right to think of professional help. She may be dealing with a real problem here. Maybe ADHD or something else. A professional could evaluate her and determine if there is a problem or just parenting issues. But with what you said about her hurting herself over and over, that leads me to believe its something more serious.

How is she otherwise, speaks well, potty trained, ect. Is this her only issue?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:44 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• OP here, she will also start yelling at people that they hit her when they are acros the room and throw herself down and start screaming that "you hit my leg" Or that you kicked her or threw something at her, etc. She did this to me the other day when I told her not to pour her cup on my coffee table and I was a good 10 feet away, she just collapsed (hitting her head on the table) and started yelling blody murder that I hit her in the head with my fist, and she was gonna tell the police and her nana (grandma)
    Anonymous

• She is very smart, she potty trained at about 2 years and then at almost 3 stopped going in the potty all together and just now started again, ostly a control issue as she was trained well for several months beforhand. But she is smart, knows all her colors, shapes, her abc's and talks very well for her age.
    Anonymous

• make a behavior consult with dr
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• If she is hurting herself, she needs to see a doctor.
    Anonymous

• Seek professional help. And be available to back your sister's story up, because everyone takes allegations of abuse very seriously, even when they're not true.
    quirkymama

Answer by quirkymama at 3:51 AM on Mar. 28, 2009