What do you think about schools using advertisements to fund programs?

I forgot where it was, but it was small tv's mounted in hallways and such showing commercials to students during breaks and inbetween classes.

There were already rules in place: no political, religious or junk food commercials allowed.

Keep in mind, schools already do this sort of, by using billboards on ball fields and things like that.

I personally thought it was a genius idea to raise money for our failing schools. Kids see these same ads everyday at home, why not see them at school and make some money doing it!

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, kids are subjected to enough adult content without having it at school too. Let kids be kids for heaven's sake.
    Anonymous

• I think it's a good idea too so long as they aren't using commercials as you mentioned.

Anonymous

• But I think the idea was to keep adult content OUT of the commercials.
    Anonymous

• I think as long as its not in the classrooms, its okay. I dont care if they have posters out in the hallway.. when I was in school I never paid attention to what was posted on the walls anyway.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:08 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My tax payer dollars should no go to the support of free enterprise. This practice is unacceptable. Some parents limit the tv their kids watch. I know we do.

Football fields and such are different. Sports are considered extra curricular activity and without outside support we wouldn't have them.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:23 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• One word.... GAG!
    TinasTribe

Answer by TinasTribe at 10:51 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I am mixed on this one. On one hand I know the schools are suffering from the funds being cut, but on the other hand kids see info of this outside of school.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:52 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I don't like it. I think the kids should raise the money through selling cookie dough and candy. do plays etc... but ads shouldn't be in the schools. They come to be educated not influenced to desire extra stuff. they don't really need. We got adults buying stuff they don't need because of all the ads that influence them. I don't need them starting early on our children.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:41 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think we are bombarded with enough commercialization as it is. When the kids are at school I want the kids learning about things that will help with the rest of their lives, not learning about what new product that is available. Also, I would rather not have the last image in their mind as they are leaving school to be poptarts and barbies.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 7:25 AM on Mar. 28, 2009