A rash spreading over my 1 year old's body body...

I dropped my son off at my mom's today, only to have her call me and tell me he had a rash on his neck and his back, which he did not have earlier when I had changed and bathed him... I called his doctor to ask if I could have him seen, and they told me they'd "get back to me", well I called again twice, only to have them 'out to lunch' and then put me on hold and hung up on me. I'm extremely frustrated, and I don't know if I should take him to urgent care or not? It's likely that it could be a heat rash, I just don't know. He got sunburned and got quite a bit of sun over the last weekend, I just need some guidance I guess :( Anybody have any suggestions?

Stephie999

Asked by Stephie999 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would be looking for a new Dr's office.

I have given my kids Benadryl for rashes. And I would normally say to call your Dr to find out if thats ok and how much....but it doesn't look like thats an option for you. So I might not do that as young as he is.

If you are really concerned call the ER and ask some questions, maybe they could give you better advice. Then tomorrow, pull out your yellow pages and find a new pediatrician!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• new bubble bath soap? new clothes i know if its new cloths and not washed u can get a rash if hes uncomfotable itchy try aloe or calmine lotion. or warm tub no bubbles/ soap just let him soak. how is he feeling? if not bothering him i would wait just a lil cause the doc will ask is it causeing pain discomfort if no then they will get him in when they have time if hes icky feeling they might want to see him. good luck hope he feels better
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• He did have a new outfit on yesterday, usually he is okay wearing new clothes... but it was a different type of shirt we threw on him at his bday party... thank you guys, I think I will call the ER, I figured I'd ride it out and see if it got worse, but my mom freaks me out all the time and tends to make me paranoid... crazy mothers.

It is unfortunate since I do love his doctor's office, there just seems to be those one or two pain in the necks.... ugh.
    Stephie999

Answer by Stephie999 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Hey I have a Dr's office like that. There are 9 Dr's in the practice and I love and trust EVERYONE except one. And guess who is always on call when I have an emergency......you guessed it...THAT one. uggg..
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• my son went through that too, my dr. said i could bring him in, but in kids rashes can be caused by so many things, there not concerned until it last more than a week or has other symptoms with it. put vasiline a light coat over it just to protect the skin and watch out for any other symptoms. good luck! p.s. ened up being exema w/ my kid but came on really over night, starts in the back and chest.
    dawninmanch

Answer by dawninmanch at 11:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My son when through the same thing a couple of times. If there has not been a fever for a few days before the rash then it is probably not rosacha (sp?).

My son woke up one day with a deep red rash on his leg, back, and belly. I got him through the bath to wash anything off that he might have gotten into and just watched him. It went away on his own and since it did not bother him I was not to concerned.

If it itches try the bynadryl that is in the cream form for topical use. I have allergies to everything and that is what I use.
    twoornery

Answer by twoornery at 11:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Did she have a fever a few days prior 2 the break out? Is it like raised bumps? And r those bumps red? Does she itch? If you said yes 2 any of these questions then its most likely roseala (not sure if spelling is correct, its pronounced rose-a-lee-a) if this is what is try rubbing cortazone ointment on the rash and it should go away in 2-3days and roseala isn't contagious
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 12:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Oops I just realized I put she and its ur son ur talking about, sorry I've been answering questions about girls all night
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 12:22 AM on Mar. 28, 2009