I just stopped pumping and am now breastfeeding but is it enough?

I was pumping only around 2-3oz of milk at a time so I had to top up with formula. For some reason after trying and trying my baby started to latch correctly and really has taken to my breast. My concern is that she should be getting around 4 oz at this time in her life and my milk only gives me around2-3 per pump. Is she getting enough? Sometimes she feeds for almost an hour, but half the time she's just flutter sucking and soothing herself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she is fine. Babies suck beter than a pump so she will get more than your pump will. Watch her we5t diapers and make sure she is still having baout the same amount. And stop supplimenting, she will eat more often from you and your body will adjust to the change and take care of her. You sound like you are doing wonderful though, keep it up.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• What you pump NEVER matters. Count dipes. 6-8 changes a day means she's getting plenty.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• You will begin to make more if you keep taking the time to feed her to satisfaction. Just got to give your body time to adjust. And as long as she is on your breast, she will get something. Don't worry too much!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:39 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• As long as you nurse on demand, it'll all be ok. Pumping x amount of ounces means nothing because a pump can't express what a baby can. Our bodies were made to do this. Just keep breastfeeding and stop supplementing. It's supply and demand. If you nurse whenever baby wants, your breasts will always produce all you need.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• If you are pumping 2-3 oz, it is VERY likely that your baby is getting 4-5 while nursing. Keep on nursing on demand, and as long as your baby gains weight and has about 6-8 diaper changes daily, its fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• A babys suckling at the breast is ALWAYS better than a pump! Im sure your baby is getting more milk than what you were pumping.
    Just keep an eye on her wet diapers, if she is having plenty, then she is well hydrated and getting enough to drink! Thats the best way to gage if she is getting enough....dont worry about exact oz.

and CONGRATS! on being able to nurse at the breast and not having to pump!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2009