How long does it take for the edema to go away if you had toxemia while you were pregnant?

I delivered over 2 months ago and it is almost as bad as when I delivered. I'm getting a little concerned. How long did it take for yours to go away?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Health

• i didnt have toxemia, but i did have pre-eclampsia i think that comes before toxemia. anyways, my edema did not go back to completely normal until about 6 weeks postpartum. so i can only imagine if you went past pre eclampsia and into toxemia that it would take even long. it SUCKS so bad i KNOW. all i could do was drink lots of water and hope to sweat it all out every night! good luck i am so sorry!!
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 2:31 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• It took me about a month to rid of most of my edema. I still have high blood pressure though, and still have a lot of pregnancy weight leftover which is not helping me out. My doctor prescribed me BP meds, and told me to take diuretics and do everything possible to lose those extra 20 lbs. Exercise will definitely help, and a diuretic with pamabrom as the active ingredient is safe to take while you're breastfeeding.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2009