How can I get my son who is 3 1/2 to go on the potty?

Please help, I feel so frustrated my son seems to have a mental block about going "#2". He will run to the potty all day long without a problem as soon as he has to go poop I have to put a diaper on, he goes in the corner and poops!!!(STANDING UP). Tried a reward system with little Matchbox cars, stickers, cookies, nothing works. Thanks

momof2boygirl

Asked by momof2boygirl at 10:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• lol im sorry but running to the corner... sounds like mine.i know when mines in a corner quiet hes doing something. all i can do i run him to the potty and hope we make it then its YEAHHH POPPIES IN THE POTTY!! and mine hates the potty. which is stress full. so i feel ya. and all i can say is best of luck boys are hard and i have always been told that.. sucks when people are right..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Tell him the diapers are all gone. Sounds like he knows you will give a diaper to go to the bathroom in. I would think after pooping in his pants a couple of times he might change his mind and decide to do it in the potty. As long as you give him a diaper that is what he will continue to do.
    Anonymous

• play a game and put fruit loops in the toilet and AIM away lol - put the timer on and go with him every time that thing dings- if you don't work with him its just not gunna work
    tonipaffel

Answer by tonipaffel at 11:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• There's something called "poop jail" which doesn't sound very nice, but I wouldn't hesitate to try it if needed.  Put them in a bathroom with no pants and access to the toilet with a safety seat and a potty chair.  Sit on the floor and read a book or something and just very calmly, in a matter-of-fact tone say "You are a big boy and your poop goes in the potty or the toilet, not in your pants.  You're too big for diapers and you're not going to get them anymore.  I'm going to stay in here with you until you are ready to put your poop where it belongs."  I've heard it can take a couple of hours.  Within a couple of days, they are over their fear and use the potty.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 4:17 PM on Mar. 28, 2009