Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dog question

My friend has a puppy and he is sick. He took him to the doggie ER and they ran every test possible on this pup and they all came back okay but he is still not eating, hes vomiting and acting really lethargic. I need some advice ladies we are afraid he isnt going to make it!

Answer Question
 
Kennadismom

Asked by Kennadismom at 10:16 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Pets

Level 12 (672 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • try a new dog food. did they check for worms or parisites? they need a poop sample for that. when mine was a puppy the first night she was a normal puppy but come morning she just sat there sad and duh and he poop was runny. had he checked out ( brought poop ) and she had parisites so they gave meds,
    tabbys4

    Answer by tabbys4 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

  • If the ER didn't find anything, I don't know what to tell you. One of my dogs had Cocidia (sp?) when she was a puppy and she was acting very similar to what you are describing. Cocidia is an intestinal parasite that dogs can get and you don't even know they have it and they're immune system takes care of it, but when a puppy's immune system is depressed, such as leaving the mom, it can cause them problems. Did they give the pup fluids or something to prevent him from dehydrating? I hope they find out the problem soon and get him taken care of.
    Christina807

    Answer by Christina807 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

  • If it's a puppy my biggest concern would be parvo...but if they ran all the tests at the ER I assume the pup doesn't have that. The biggest worry with a little puppy will be dehydration. When did he take him to the ER vet? What did they tell him to do for follow-up care?
    aurorabunny

    Answer by aurorabunny at 10:32 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

  • i will also add they checked mine for dehydration by grabing the scruf of her neck ( like how cats take there young ) you grab it nicely if the skin stays pulled up and dosent spring back down they need fluids thats what my dogs vet did. ( she needed fluids )
    tabbys4

    Answer by tabbys4 at 10:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

  • Yeah tabby is right, his skin should snap back quickly ...and also make sure his nose is still wet.
    aurorabunny

    Answer by aurorabunny at 10:36 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

  • Where do they live? In an apt or a house? has the puppy been outside? i have had dogs poisioned by battery acid and all kinds of stuff before, im not sure if that will show up in tests or not
    camtri3

    Answer by camtri3 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

  • If they drink anticoolant for the cars (which they love to drink because of it's sweet taste).
    lisa_ann_p

    Answer by lisa_ann_p at 7:46 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

  • he has been to the er 3 times. They kept him overnight to push fluids and he was getting better but now he is getting bad again. he actually peed on himself the other night! It is not parvo, they did a poop sample but there was barely any stool to sample, they did blood work for lyme disease etc they are waiting for the results from one more blood test of another tick disease. I feel so bad he said the dog just isnt right
    Kennadismom

    Answer by Kennadismom at 11:22 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

  • Parvo isn't always detected right away Good diet for sick dogs is plain white rice mixed with boiled lean hamburger. good on the stomach, My pup had parvo and that is one thing that got him through. hydrating is very important. the vet can give you anti nausua meds or ask them about pepto bismo or pepcid ac, that is what our vet told us to use for upset stomachs... it is cheaper and good. I also had a dog that got an infection and was like that and went on an antibiotic and was fine a week later. Best of luck!!!
    muzikgrl477

    Answer by muzikgrl477 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

  • Did they take an x-ray?? Puppies like to chew and eat things... maybe he has a blockage?? That would explain the vomiting...in the mean time try ground beef (drain all the fat and cook it til dry) and white rice in small amounts to calm his tummy down.
    calliesmommie

    Answer by calliesmommie at 8:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN