Weaning off of formula??

My boy is turning a year on April 4th and I don't know how I am supposed to 'wean' him off of formula. Do I mix a little milk in gradually? Or do I just give him milk straight up?

ReginaGallo

Asked by ReginaGallo at 10:24 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I've heard of people doing it both ways but what I did was say he gets 8oz of formula... Do 2oz milk 6oz formula for a couple days then 4oz milk 4oz formula a couple days then 6oz milk 2oz formula a.c.d. and the just milk. That's how my mom tols me to do it and when I asked the doctor she shrugged and said 'if that's how you want to why not or you could just give him milk'
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 10:28 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I always got rid of bottles along with formula at a year. It seemed easier for me to just put milk in a sippy cup as a totally different drink so that they wouldn't associate it with the bottle. If your not getting rid of the bottle as well I have heard of a lot of people just adding an oz of milk every so often to the formula until it is all milk. Whatever works for you.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• i agree with first poster, you dont want to get him sick or reject the regular milk, so i would definitely down size the milk every day or so, until he is completely off breast milk
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• We mixed it with our first because she just didn't want to drink the plain milk but once she was at 3/4 milk to a 1/4 formula we stopped using bottles because in our house bottles are only for formula. I didn't want her getting confused and expecting her milk in a bottle because the bottles were getting passed down to her baby brother who was born 3 months later.

With my other kids we just stopped giving them the bottle. But they had been drinking milk from a sippy for months so there was never any issues. They didn't even seem to notice the bottles were gone.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:15 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• i just straight gave whole milk to my daughter...she drank lil sips here and there starting at about 11 months so she could get used to it..and then she absolutely looooved it once she got it all the time :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:10 AM on Mar. 28, 2009