Where do I need to go or contact to start child suport without paying a lot of money.

I need to start filing child support, but I do live on a budget. Is there any suggestion on how to start filing without paying hundreds of dollars on a lawyer? Or do I have to put myself in debt to start filing. I am in a good spot now financially. I do not want to reunion that. What can I do or where do I go from here?

2kidsjk

Asked by 2kidsjk at 10:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• You need to go to your local child support office. If you are on any kind of public assistance there is no fee, if you are not on assistance you will have to pay $25. Look in your phone book for your county child support offce, normally with the local prosecutor. Good luck
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Go through your department of human services
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 10:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I think this is one of those things that is different in different states I never paid ANYTHING for child support issues and we were in court A LOT I just chose to not spend my money on a lawyer. In NY there is a website for child support, not sure if there is one in your state I would just Google search 'Child Support and your state' if not then call the child support office and ask about the process.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Go 2 the welfare office and say u need help filing for child support they should do it for free, but it could vary in each state like goaliemom93 said
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 1:48 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Department of Human Services, Job and Family Services. Basically your local welfare office can help you =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2009