Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where do I need to go or contact to start child suport without paying a lot of money.

I need to start filing child support, but I do live on a budget. Is there any suggestion on how to start filing without paying hundreds of dollars on a lawyer? Or do I have to put myself in debt to start filing. I am in a good spot now financially. I do not want to reunion that. What can I do or where do I go from here?

Answer Question

Asked by 2kidsjk at 10:40 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • You need to go to your local child support office. If you are on any kind of public assistance there is no fee, if you are not on assistance you will have to pay $25. Look in your phone book for your county child support offce, normally with the local prosecutor. Good luck

    Answer by ronjwake at 10:43 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

  • Go through your department of human services

    Answer by camtri3 at 10:45 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

  • I think this is one of those things that is different in different states I never paid ANYTHING for child support issues and we were in court A LOT I just chose to not spend my money on a lawyer. In NY there is a website for child support, not sure if there is one in your state I would just Google search 'Child Support and your state' if not then call the child support office and ask about the process.

    Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

  • Go 2 the welfare office and say u need help filing for child support they should do it for free, but it could vary in each state like goaliemom93 said

    Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 1:48 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

  • Department of Human Services, Job and Family Services. Basically your local welfare office can help you =]

    Answer by mommykayti at 12:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.