Do all breastfed co-sleeping babies still wake up every 2 hours at almost 10 months old, or is it just mine?

The longest stretch of sleep my son has slept, since he was born, was 6 hours. And that only happened 2 times. He's up still every 2 hours or more and he's almost 10 months old. I'm a complete zombie lately. Plus I suffer from horrible anxiety which is worse if I don't have sleep. How the heck can I get him to sleep longer periods of time? He's eating solids pretty much 3 times a day and also breastfeeding probably about 4 times during the day and 2 of those times I let him suck for at least 40 minutes. I know he can't really be hungry. HELP! I need to sleep.

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh, you probably guessed that every time he wakes in the night I just nurse him back to sleep. I know he just doesn't know how to get back to sleep w/o the boob. But i do it in my sleep and am too exhausted to do anything else.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Get "the no cry sleep solution" or "the sleep book" (this one's by dr sears).

My daughter didn't sleep through the night until after she turned one, but definitely slept longer than 2 hours at night.

:) good luck!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• What you could do is rock him or pat his back to sleep. It can help :) I found my daughter just wanted to know I was there, not really nurse!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:55 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Use what you got! Lol. I'm too tired to take note of the times, but my 17 month old always has and still does wake to eat frequently. I wake too and sometimes I want a snack. I'm an adult. It's only human for a baby/toddler to as well.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Sounds normal to me.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:59 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I second "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. My dd is 9 1/2 months old and does the same thing. Does he take a paci?

I personally believe that when they're near the boob all night, they'll nurse more. I think one of the only real solutions is to move him out of the family bed. But as a breastfeeding/cosleeper of a 9 1/2 month old, I have no intention of moving her out of my bed anytime soon, because I don't have a problem with her frequently night nursing.

Definitely read The No Cry Sleep Solution. It has great suggestions for co sleeping babies.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 11:12 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• my son was the same way until about 14 months, just never a long stretch...people say try this or this, but I dont think so. My daughter was an angel and slept right from the beg. and I didnt do anything different. each child is different. just try to hang in there. they'll get to sleeping at some point! good luck!!!
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 11:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• You need good sleep. Like an 8 hour uninterupted streach. Perhaps you should talk to your doctor about the dangers of sever sleep deprevation. there are long term effects as well as depression, anxiety attacks, heart issues, memory loss.... Part of the reason I am not to fond of the whole push for moms to co-sleep. It works for some, but for others, it doesnt... and you seem to be one suffering from it.... not benifiting. I think you should concider transition your baby to a seperat bed... or even room. A 10 month old should be getting enough food during the day to sustain him through the night, or at he should only be waking once...maybe twice through growth spurts. I doubt your baby is hungry... its more likely that he is comfort nursing. Its a habit, and its not easily broken... and it could take a loooong time to grow out of. But if your feeling really out of it.. talk to your doctor. My second sounds like.....
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:34 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• yours, and I was having anxiety attacks, memory lapses, my heart would beat out of control. Guess what... from sever sleep deprevation. And it ended up affecting my son as well. I belevie that his speech delays are directly linked to the lack of sleep he recived as well. Sleep is essential to the devleoping brain.. as well as healing.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:36 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• my daughter has slept through the night since she was a month old, by every now and then she wakes up or wants to nusre. is he hungry? if not try a binkey if you havent already instead of nursing, once tho teethers come in if not already they can get bottle rott even from nursing, i just learned. try patting his butt when he starts to wake up, that usually puts my baby back to sleep. it sounds pretty normal though every baby has their own patterns even if it doesnt suite us.
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 1:30 AM on Mar. 28, 2009