How did you get rid of bottles?& what age??

Us?? when DS was 13 months he figured out how to punch the nipple out so I threw them all away while he was sleeping and when he woke up handed him a sippy cup (I breastfed til 7 months and was hoping to bypass the entire bottle stage but *shrugs* maybe the next one won't wean himself so early) Of course DS was easy we just stop doing things and he goes with it. Pacifiers, bottles, sleeping situations and now potty training...

theheartbaby

Asked by theheartbaby at 10:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My oldest son, when he turned a year I took away his midday bottle. Then a few days later I took away the am one and a few days after that I took the before bed one.

My middle boy I couldnt switch over to save my life. At 19 mths he spent a week at my moms while I had my youngest son and he came home off of it and onto a regular cup. Go Mom!! She said he didnt fight her, just took the cup from day one...sometimes they need a grandmas touch I guess LOL.

My youngest one I just took it away at a year...no slow process like I did for the first. He was ready and so I did it.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:32 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My daughter took herself off of them when she was 11 months. She was only having one a day at that point anyways.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• my son only gets bottles when he goes down for a nap or sleep, none for the day..... the daycare lady says she gets him down with none...dont know how she does it tho... he just turned 2 last week btw
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Both my boys got rid of the bottle at 12 months. I started water in sippy cups around 7/8 months and then around 10 months I would put milk in it here and there. At 12 months when the formula stopped so did the bottles and they were used to having milk in sippy cups.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:02 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• my daughter was rid of her bottes on her first birthday. i have a feeling my son won't be so easy.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My dd was 2 I took them and threw them in the trash and told her that the mail-man took them and sent them to a poor baby without bottles only because she kept asking and crying for them shes been off for a few and still crys for it
    Anonymous

• When the formula ran out at 12-13 months I just stopped giving them the bottle. By that time they were down to just 1 a day, usually before bed. The first few nights were rough but eventually they got over it. The hardest was my son. We thought he was still hungry or thirsty at night so started giving him a bottle of water in stead of the formula hoping he would get the idea that he would not be getting anything he wanted but he would suck the bottle dry every night. A week later we realized he didn't care what was in the bottle...he just wanted to suck on it. He never took a pacifier. So we started giving him an empty bottle and he would suck on it for a few minutes then fall asleep and was fine. He was a very strange baby. My girls were pretty easy to wean.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I took my sons away at 11 months and started giving him a sippy cup, he didnt mind.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I got rid of the bottles when my son was about 14 months old. I just threw them away and introduced him to the big boy cup for all day. He didn't have a problem. I actually started giving him a little bit of diluted juice in a sippy cup at 7 months. Now the problem is the sippy cup. Hes two and still has it throughout the day AND at night.
    Anonymous

• My son cut all of his front teeth by eleven months, and out pedi told us to start sippy's. I just gave it to him one day, and he figured it out. I gave him milk, and straight juice in his sippy around a year.
    Rexanna

Answer by Rexanna at 12:02 AM on Mar. 28, 2009