Can anyone give me some advice with this? I just don't know what to do anymore.

My son just turned 3 in January. He has been going to school since he was a year old. He's always been a tough kid but now he's completely out of control. His teacher's put him in an older class when he was two and now he just had to get moved into an even older class because it started getting bad again. The first couple of days were great. He behaved SO well. Now, it's starting all over. He's throwing things at the teacher, hitting the other children, completely ignoring everyone. I realize he is just a toddler but I am a teacher myself and I work with toddlers all day long and none of them compare to the behavior of my son. I've tried everything possible. One big thing that might be causing this behavior is that I just had his brother 3 months ago. Still, what can I do? What MORE can I do? I've done everything. Let him play with the baby, let him help me with the baby, tried ignoring the bad behavior. Please help.

CarterCrad

Asked by CarterCrad at 11:06 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is he being disciplined when he behaves this way? What does the teacher do when he acts this way?
    BubNSoap

Answer by BubNSoap at 11:09 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• He is crying for attention. He doesnt want to play with the baby, he wants to be the baby. He needs his own special time with just mommy and daddy.
    Anonymous

• agree 100% with PP
    Fractal_mama

Answer by Fractal_mama at 11:14 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• he needs a nice bar of soap in his mouth!
    Anonymous

• I would not suggest giving him MORE attention. Give him equal attention. Explain to him that you took care of him the exact same way when he was a baby, so when you are giving the baby a bottle and he is mad, start talking to him about how sweet it was to do that with him when he was a baby. And maybe even go as far as saying that when the baby is 3, you will do these things with him as well.
    About the school- is he motivated by rewards for good behaivor? Maybe pick the three times during the day that he is the worst and reward him during these times if he is good. If he gets his three stars, he gets a reward?
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 11:33 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Oh yeah, and ignore the mean posts from anon.. not sure what's up with that.
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 11:34 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Im not so mean either and I have problems with my son, but i realize some of his temper comes from how i act when i get mad- or his dad and is his dad gone alot....... I came up with a plan that i have to stick with no matter what- its alot easier just giving them what they want but what are you gunna think when he grows up and gets in ALOT more trouble....
    tonipaffel

Answer by tonipaffel at 11:52 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Do you have a weekly "date" with him, just him? Leaving the baby with someone else?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• It's hard to make suggestions without knowing how you and his teachers handle his behavior.

Ignoring it doesn't seem to be working. You might try pulling him to the side when he misbehaves and telling him hitting others or throwing things at the teacher are no-nos. At the same time, watch for good behavior and tell him you are proud of him for doing good things. Hopefully these things will help him identify the boundaries of acceptable behavior.
    Moogie1005

Answer by Moogie1005 at 11:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Give him some alone time with mom and dad. My son still cries out for our attention by not listening and his sister is 21 months old and he is almost 4 years.

The other posters gave some other good advice except what the hell is the bar of soap supposed to do exactly?
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2009