Learning to Count?

My son was 5 in December. He knows the alphabet, letter sounds, over 25 sight words, and he has two books that he can read (partly from sounding out the words and partly from memory). He also has very decent hand writing.
Problem: he can't count past 15. He's been in school since he was 2 and we work with our children at home. He's just never been that interested in it. I try things like getting him to count his cars, or giving him goldfish and having him count them first. But he's caught on to me asking him to do it so much and he's complaining about it now.
Any learning ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is younger, but what I do to help him learn to count is count our steps when walking or the stairs etc. I do the counting so he can hear me and he usually counts along, but sometimes doesn't. Just hearing it will help though so maybe try that instead of making him do the coutning all alone.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:32 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Sounds like he is burnt out. Give him a rest.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2009