43 and want a baby,am I nuts??

My husband and I want to have another baby,we have a 7.5 year old, I would be 44 when I would have it. I,m a diabetic,have a heart stent but we have asked my doctor and she said no problem, I do wish tho we would have done this about 6 years ago but we really want to have another one,,are we crazy??

momindistress08

Asked by momindistress08 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• If you are nuts, I am totally insane because I am 46 years old and my SO and I are TTC. We have been together for 2 years now. I have other children by a previous marriage but we love each other sooo much that we want to share our love with "our" child. I went to my OB/GYN doctor last month and he advised me it's okay to start trying. He told me to start taking pre-natal vitamins to get my body ready in case I do conceive. I say GO FOR IT!!! You are like me. You are definitely old enough to know what the risks are and nobody on here needs to tell us that. Good luck to you and if you do conceive, throw some of that baby dust my way!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• nah i dont think so! your doctor said its ok to have a baby then get off here and go have baby making sex!!! lol GOOD LUCK

woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• When i was in high school the middle school principal who was 48 had a baby (it wasn't planned but that isnt the point). I say if you and hubby want one and your dr. isnt worried go for it!
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• You and your husband need to ask yourselves a very serious question.

If you get pregnant and discover the child is deformed, will you abort or keep him or her?

If you decide you will abort, it doesn't matter one way or the other, does it?

If you decide you will continue through and have the baby, can you take care of him or her with their medical issues?

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:49 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• WTH timeless? Shouldn't EVERYONE ask that before deciding to have a baby??!!
    Anonymous

• The OP is at a much higher rate of possibility of having a child with "issues".

I know, I had my child at 40.....that was my cut off age because the incidences of deformity went up dramatically from that age.

Of course everyone needs to ask that question. I'm answering the OP's question. She is concerned about her age being a factor.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:59 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Yeah a woman over 35 runs a very high risk of Downs Syndrome in children and it hightens with each passing year. But if you want a baby, do it. :)
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 12:37 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Just be aware of the risks, like other people said. If you're up for dealing with them, do it.
    quirkymama

Answer by quirkymama at 3:45 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• go for it girl.young or old, whatever is going to be is going to be.there is women in there 20s have unhealthy babies. for whateveer reason.God has the last say anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Its true you would be at a higher risk. Also you need to ask yourself is this something you want or are you just trying to fill a void. My friends husbands mom had him at 43 and he says he was so embarassed when his mom would come to his class events everyone thought she was grandma. However he is a jerk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Mar. 28, 2009