In response to a previous post about "once saved always saved"

I don't understand how if your saved and you sin and know it how you will not go to heaven?? Someone wrote a whole bunch of replies saying this and i dont understand how after you are saved and you sin against the lord you are no longer "in the book of life". We are all sinners and fall short of the glory of God and even with the lord saving us and forgiving us we will always stumble. Im so confused??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, I don't believe any of it but all I can say is...I have never know any two Christians that have the same ideas. It is all based on interpretation etc. plus the Bible has too many contradictions for most to sort through completely. I hear these illogical/contradicting statements all the time. I have given up questioning it for the most part.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 12:59 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I am christian and in my faith we believe in being born again of the spirit and the water In Jesus name. As you said we will all always be sinners, people get saved and people backslide. God knows this and understands this. When we sin we must go to God and ask his forgiveness and pray for understanding and strength and knowledge not to do it again.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read.php?post_id=1429258&pop_voted=1
    MamaCass05

Answer by MamaCass05 at 4:31 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• "Once saved, always saved" is not biblical. Ezekiel 18:24 says, "But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die."

King Saul had salvation once, didn't he? We all know how that turned out! ( 1 Samuel 16:14) When we continue to sin willfully we risk grieving away the Holy Spirit as King Saul did.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:40 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Falling into sin is not intentional. We fall into the mud, get up immediately, and go to God for cleansing. Willful sinning is like falling into the mud, wallowing in it, and presuming that you'll go to God later for a bath. ( Dangerous!)

Hebrews 10:26-29 says, "For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?"
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:59 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Amen Lexy!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• If you accept Jesus as your lord and savior, you are saved. Period. Now, if you make a mistake and sin (as we ALL do) are you still saved? YES YES YES! That's the whole point of grace, mercy, and salvation. Especially if you still have Christ in your heart and still accept him.

Now, let's say that you decide one day to reject Christ - you may still believe in him, but reject him as your savior. Are you THEN still saved? My guess would be no. Not until you once again accept Christ.

"Once saved always saved" isn't a concept I really adhere to. If you are still a Christian, you are saved. But if you one day decide you don't want to be one anymore, than your not.

I'm not saying anyone's going to hell, BTW, guys. Just wanted to make THAT point clear.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Lexy has it!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:06 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• God created a FLAWLESS plan of salvation. Not one where he would have to use his eraser every 5 minute. lol. Thats insane.

You can quote scripture all day long, but unless its in the RIGHT context you can twist it to say whatever you desire.

I am glad I have the security of knowing I will go to heaven b/c of Jesus sacrifice. Its big enough to keep me in salvation, nothing I do can change Gods plan.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Rejecting the idea of OSAS doesn't mean that someone is in constant fear of their salvation - it means that we understand salvation is a process and not an event. This is why the Bible tells us to perservere - that we need to continuinely work to remain close to Christ. Salvation is a relationship with God through the grace of participating in His eternal life.

So,it's not that God removes you from the Book of Life - it's that you remove yourself through continues sin and rejection of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ came to redeem everyone - not just those in the Book of Life. We all have the chance to accept or reject - and we all have free will to reject Christ later.

Committed Christians sin for all sorts of reasons and we are only saved by God’s amazing Grace, not our level of commitment. God knows our true heart!
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• It is ridiculous to think that if you were "saved" then no matter what you do, you are still saved. I also don't think God would expect anyone to be perfect and never sin at all....BUT if you consciously decide to sin and turn away from God, how could you be considered "saved" at that point? I do think you can be forgiven again...and be saved again....but how can it NOT matter what is in your heart? Nothing could matter more....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2009