question about 3 year old

ok my 3 year old never wants to hold my hand in public and gets mad and she shows her attitude its like she never listens to me is this normal??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i think that happens with all kids they are just trying to show their independance and that they are a "big" kid and not a baby anymore
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Yes I think it is normal....My son is 3 and he tells me all the time I am "big" I can do it myself.
    But you need to set rules. Like.....Hold your hand crossing the street.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My kids did this at that age too. Give her another option worse than holding your hand and let her pick which one she wants to do, say like either you sit in the car or you hold my hand, or I carry you or you hold myhand, make it seem more appealing and she wll pick the choice you want. GL If she still fights you take her to the car and I bet she changes her mind before you even get there.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:44 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I simply explained to my children that people cannot see them when they are crossing the street and that children can die, and they will never see mommy again, and that it's not that I dont think your a big girl... because i know you are! you do this and this and this. and those are all big girl things. but it is an adult thing to walk with no hand. and a mom thing to keep you safe. I found putting it in the childs favor helps to. Mommy needs you to help by holding my hand. instead of you have to hold my hand now. reasoning isn't always good, but them understanding why is.
    muzikgrl477

Answer by muzikgrl477 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My 3 year old used to do that, I would never let him get away with it. I would give him 2 choices, hold my hand, or back to the car...he always chose holding my hand.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 8:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2009