any pointers on potty training lil boys?

my three year old will not go poopy on tha potty, he will hold it in till i take him off tha pot then he will go in his room poop in his diper!

ashlyn85

Asked by ashlyn85 at 2:31 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Poop, thats the fun one!! You can sit him on the potty and stay there with him, give him a book to 'read' and wait till he does his poppie, or put him in a pair of undies and let him wear them and if he poops make him wait a minute (not long at all!!) and then drop the poop into the toilit and tell him that that is where it goes. Some kids are scared of going big potty becaseu they feel like they are losing a part of themselves!! LOL!
    Good luck to you mommy!!
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 2:39 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• we started the "prize box" just for this. first, it was went he went pee in the potty that he got a prize. now we went onto poop in the potty. every time he does he gets a prize. the box is just a clear shoe box from walmart with dollar tree toys in it (bubbles, bouncy balls, hot wheels, etc...)
    best advice i can give you, though, is to not show him you're agrivated when he goes in his pullup. is hard not to but doing that will cause him anxiety and make him even more reluctant to go. GOOD LUCK!
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 6:16 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• boys just train later than girls. give lots of praise when he does do a little in poty, but dont criticize him when he does not. just be patient. He will get it when he is ready. try cheerios 4 aiming in poty. that helped mine. little rewards 4 afterwards helped also. such as piece of sugarfree candy ( so not 2 hyper them up), or stuff like in bubble gum machine. tiny toys.

mom3tn

Answer by mom3tn at 11:34 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Boys can train as early as girls.  Mine was 19 1/2 months and was done in eight days.  He has not worn a diaper in 10 months.  For a three-year-old, there is no way I'd put him in a diaper under any circumstances, and after sitting on the potty, I wouldn't let him run into his room or anywhere else.

continued ....

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 4:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• There's something called "poop jail" which doesn't sound very nice, but I wouldn't hesitate to try it if needed. Put them in a bathroom with no pants and access to the toilet with a safety seat and a potty chair. Sit on the floor and read a book or something and just very calmly, in a matter-of-fact tone say "You are a big boy and your poop goes in the potty or the toilet, not in your pants. You're too big for diapers and you're not going to get them anymore. I'm going to stay in here with you until you are ready to put your poop where it belongs." I've heard it can take a couple of hours.

DeTora_Family

• My experiment with potty training boys..... Do not push them. The second i let off my first born decided that was the time. make it fun and enjoyable, constant praise, and not disappointment if they fail... it's okay. maybe next time. second boy potty trained faster with help from older brother, and wanting to be a big boy like him. Also I always told him... ahhhh your not a big boy yet??? cuz diapers are for babies... well i guess we will have to wait on _______ until your a big boy.. because only big boys get_______, and if your still using diapers, your not the big boy i thought you were. Darn it. well, we will try again. and make the _________- something that big boys truly do and that will be a treat... science central, new fishing pole, ect. It worked for me.... Good luck!!! have you read the poop book?? it explains to them that it's normal, that everyone poops even bears, dogs, ect. sometimes it is scary to children.
    muzikgrl477

Answer by muzikgrl477 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• my son was the same. he would not go when he was on the pot and as soon as i got him off, he did it in his diaper. a friend suggested this:

plan on staying home for at least four days straight. let him hang out around the house naked (no clothes, no diaper) and put a potty in the living room (I left mine in the restroom). when he's gotta go, he'll use the potty because he doesn't have a diaper on! :)

it worked! I planned on going at it for 5 days but on the 3rd day, something came up and i had to run an errand. i put his diaper on only for the time, i was away from home. as soon as i got home, i took it off! oh and while he's naked, just act like he's got his clothes on and don't make it a big deal...

and the cool thing is that it's fun for them to run around the house naked :)
    ericadrian

Answer by ericadrian at 5:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Don't force it and don't get stressed. He will pick up on that stress and it will make it harder for on him. And believe me I know that is ALOT easier than said than done. But like muzikgrl477 make it fun, make it a game and he will get into it. But most important don't listen to other people, everyone has their own timetable, boys or girls. You can't think he has to do this because everyone says he should.

Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• you know my son is 3 and he potty trained himself he just decided it was time i guess. took off his diaper and that was it i got lucky he never has even wetted the bed
    Marci555

Answer by Marci555 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 1, 2009