What is the best and safest way to lose weight while breastfeeding?

My fifteen month old son still breastfeeds which is not a bad thing. However, I would really like to lose those extra pounds, but I want to do it safely so I know a lot of diets are out. I'm up for exercise, but I am very out of shape and haven't worked out in years. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me on what they know works or has worked for them?

gift_of_a_child

Asked by gift_of_a_child at 3:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• maybe wean him off
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• You can safely eliminate all sugar and breads from your diet and at the same time increase your water intake and begin to lose immediately. At the same time, your child is old enough to handle any type of weather so begin to walk briskly every morning strolling him or at least 45 min. and then again for 20 in the evening.

It has been suggested that brisk walking burns more belly fat than any exercise. Go to Prevention online and watch some of their online videos to get great ideas for beginning workouts. I saw a dramatic diff when I started their Summer Body Challenge last summer. I still use most of this routine when I'm changing up what I do at the gym.

Also, buy a set of 5 lb hand wghts and use them at home on rainy days. But mostly taking out the sugars and breads, keeping a calorie diary of 1500 cals a day, and brisk walking will do perfectly for you and get you set for more heavier toning as you go along.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Weight watchers. I have a friend that done it and lost alot of weight and fast and healthy. Its a great program . And there are specific guidelines for breastfeeding moms
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• You can lose weight with the natural vitamin I take , let me know if you like more info? Many moms have and are losing weight.. Read my journal posts..
    Have a great evening!
    Jen
    uniquecandle27

Answer by uniquecandle27 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 1, 2009