Is my baby sleeping on me bad?

My week old has had problems sleeping at night and we tend to end up both passed out on the couch (her on her stomach on top of me) after feeding. Is this bad? Does it put her at a higher risk for sids since she's on her stomach? I honestly don't mean to fall asleep like this, but I just get so tired. If it is bad, what should I do?

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 3:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son has slept on his stomach since birth but I would think that it's a little dangerous to sleep like that only because sometimes you roll in your sleep or adjust your position
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Its not bad really.. as long as she isn't going to fall off of you... as for scared about sids if she's sleeping on you chances are she will be waking up from your movement or reajusting herself on you so I don't think you have a problem.. but my baby girl has gotten used to sleeping on me because i was so tired i let the same thing happen and now shes 2 and a half months and doesn't like sitting down .. she has to be held even when shes fast asleep i'll put her down and she'll wake up and scream.. and i'll put her back on my chest and she'll be back out.. just becareful if your taking any pain medicine that will make you a heavy sleeper.. and its always safer to have them in their own bed on their back.. but for the first weeks i think bonding like that is really important.. good luck
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 3:34 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• say no more,totally normal, healthy and bonding... ur doing a good job mommie. p.s i slept just like ur saying for a good 2.5 to 3 wks..sitting up kinda leaned back..propped up with a buncha pillows..mostly cuz i had cesarean an it felt sick to lay down flat..plus i was just so tired all the time and it was the easiest way for me to get the most sleep
    LifeIsSweetKW

Answer by LifeIsSweetKW at 3:46 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I don't think it's bad. A doctor told me that a child actually has a lower risk of SIDS on their tummy because of circulation, it's just that alot of these babies suffocate when they stay facedown in sheets are could be loose or what not. My son sleeps like that all the time and he's fine, just make sure she's not face down on you. Pacifiers also help with this too
    Borikaos

Answer by Borikaos at 3:50 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I do the exact same thing with my 4 week old. She loves to sleep on her belly on top of me with her face turned to the side. I always put my brstfeed pillow around her and prop it up on either side, almost like a cocoon. That way there is little chance that she will slide off me while I sleep. What your doing is so natural, don't let anyone tell you differently.
    Liv32

Answer by Liv32 at 5:32 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I did the EXACT same thing with my son, but in my bed, for about a month, maybe two. then started putting him in his crib. everything was just fine. just make sure you have something/some kind of room next to you in case she falls or moves the wrong way or whatever. my son has always been a side or stomach sleeper, depending on the night, he is now going to be three in may and completely fine. as long as the crib is safe, and you can check her every so often, sids shouldnt be a problem. you are just fine momma, good luck and congrats =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• My son and I sleep the majority of the time like this. I think it actually decreases sids because you consciously know what he is doing, if he can breath, and how he is at all times. But that is my opinion. Really, babies have been sleeping on their tummies for ever and they just recently came out saying it was bad. I can understand how it would be bad if they were alone in their crib where they could smother their selves, but I am skeptical about it increasing sids if they are so close to you.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I slept like this with my little boy until he was about 2 months. It was the most sound and yet alert sleep I ever got. I say go for it just be careful she doesn't roll off since your on the couch.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I personally don't think its bad. I think everyone does it and sometimes its the only way to get some sleep. As a mom you will more than likely wake up when she moves even just a little bit.When I had both of my children, i was worried about SIDS also and back then they said to let them sleep on their stomach and now they say their back, so who knows the right way.Its every parents nightmare that this could happen. Get rest when you can and if this is the way for you to get it, then go for it.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 8:15 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• My son slept on my tummy/shoulder when he was little and I really enjoyed it - I don't think there is any harm in it, esp. since you will probably sleep more lightly with your daughter on top of you (taking the precautions other moms have pointed out).  My husband took a picture of my son and I sleeping on the couch (I was in a sitting position with my head and back elevated by the arm of the couch).  When I took it to work, a woman freaked out on me because my son was on his tummy.  I was like, "Look, his head is on my shoulder.  I'm going to notice if his breathing changes."  I think sometimes common sense goes out the window in some people's attempt to obey the "letter of the law."

FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 8:34 AM on Mar. 29, 2009