What do you say to strangers' little comments?

My DH and I were watching our 9 y/o niece, 7 y/o nephew, 1 y/o niece, along with my DS who is 2. We took them to the park for the day and treated them to ice cream because we live in a different town and rarely see them.

At the ice cream place, two older women were sitting down eating their ice cream. I took DS to potty and when I got back DH was fuming. He said one of the old ladies made a comment like "Geez, how many kids do they have?" and the other said "Enough to repopulate the world."

I got a little heated but kept my cool and as we walked passed them to sit at the patio outside I said to my husband loudly "Did you count heads because I think we lost 3!?"

What do you all say to comments like this?

mommabeth15

Asked by mommabeth15 at 4:33 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Something like that I probably would have let my mother bear instinct get the better of me. in other words... i would have made a complete butt of myself lol
    I probably would have turned around and just stared at them and made THEM uncomfortable, OR would have went right over to them and asked if they had a problem. Pry would have made a scene, but that's just me LMAO
    Jordanplustwo

Answer by Jordanplustwo at 10:20 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I have to admit when I see a young mother with a tribe of young kids at her hip I assume she is been busy.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:38 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Haha okay so I was babysitting my nephew who is 3 1/2 months old. He is a mixed baby his father is black his mom is white. I was at Subway with my fiance and I was holding my nephew, I should probably mention that I am 35 weeks pregnant. Some old man was sitting there giving me the weirdest looks. Finace kissed me and this mad the man angry..he questioned why I had a black baby and was pregnant kissing some white guy. I said I was a busy girl and just laughed. Lol ignorant people!
    twinmommy2009

Answer by twinmommy2009 at 4:38 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• lol ronjwake, I agree... I sometimes think the same thing... except I do NOT voice my thoughts for those people to hear them. The way people say things is pretty hurtful sometimes.

twinmommy - that's funny
    mommabeth15

Answer by mommabeth15 at 4:47 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I do not say anything to them, unless their tribe is completely wild. There is nothing that irks me more then a mother letting her kids run wild in the store, now my husband on the other hand has told people that their kids are the reason animals eat their young...
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:51 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• oh... well that's just plain rude. I would never in a million years tell another mom how horrible her kids are. I've been there... my 2 year can get pretty crazy sometimes and nothing would ruin my day more for some stranger to remind me of it.
    mommabeth15

Answer by mommabeth15 at 4:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I have seen children break items in the store and the parents act like it was nothing. I understand at times children will act up, but parents should not let small children run wild in stores either.
    My husband is one that will tell you the truth even if it hurts ones feelings..his theory is it don't matter what you say if it is the truth..but I love him anyway :)
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:02 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I completely agree you should never let small children run around in stores, whether they're acting up or not. But I don't think you should ever make comments to another parent on their parenting choices. Unless, of course, their child is doing something to a member of your family or doing something to something that belongs to you. Then, I'd let loose... but not to just be rude and tell another parent how to do their job. Just not nice, imo.
    mommabeth15

Answer by mommabeth15 at 5:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think I'm getting old because now I straight out tell the kids to calm down or don't do that and today I took my mom and my son to lunch and it was after school hours and the teen that were in there were cussing up a storm! They were with the F you and that's effin' BS and one of their female friends finally said it! I thought to myself, she is going to be a good mom!, She says"OK, you dummies, can't you see we are in a public place and your all cussing! There are little kids in here"!! and me with my big mouth said THANK YOU! As we were done I told her, you have a beautiful future girl, to be so in tune with other people around you. She blushed and her friends were cackling and saying "I told you , you are the smart one" and I just walked away giggling. My son, so cute...says "Thanks mom for being tough and you know, telling that girl that she is good".
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 5:24 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• That's such a cute story, gigi.

I have NO problem telling kids who are tweens or teens what I think if they're misbehaving around my family... but just not small children. Yes, I have to say that their parents are probably not doing a great job at keeping their kids in check, but I still have no right to say anything. When I absolutely need to, I will tell a kids parent, but never the kid. I don't know, I just don't like stepping over the line and hurting someones feelings. I know what it feels like when someone smarts off and you're just having a bad day.
    mommabeth15

Answer by mommabeth15 at 5:37 AM on Mar. 28, 2009