How much does a new baby cost a month? Average.

I'm planning on breast feeding. Trying to figure out if I'm going to be able to stay home full time and only my Fiance working. Let me know what you think.

Heather10285

Asked by Heather10285 at 5:49 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• It really just depends. You may not be able to breastfeed and may be forced to buy formula. Do you plan to do cloth or disposable diapers?

With DD's formula and diapers and co-pays and medicines and all the other little "necessities," I think she added a couple hundred a month to our spending.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:47 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• With breastfeeding comes pricce as well and I think some people forget that. You need to eat healthier and healthier foods are a little more pricey. You will need breastpads for leaking, and nursing bras, nipple cream, breastpump perhaps? For the baby it depends on what diapers you want. Research what diapers you want cheapest suck and by the time you change nine hundred cause they leak you could have bought pampers been there done that. Hand me downs are a life saver...we did hand me downs and thift stores and we honestly only have to really worry about buying the baby bath soaps, food, and the things we see that we want not need. Average its probably between $100-$500 depending on your prefernce and location and whether you have help or not. GL...message me if you would like more help with anything.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:07 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• It depends. -- diapers about $60 a month plus wipes, estimate at least one co pay a mounth for doc visits. say $10 for various items such as creams, shampoo, otcs. breastfeeding will required nursing bras, breast pads, loation if you have pain. If you pump, you will need the pump plus storage bags and bottles. Estimate $20 for new toys or items you didn't think to get. If you formula feed, that's closer to $100 + a month. Then as baby grows there is food. assume $30 a month for that. If you work, day care is close to $800 a month.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• ... continued the last time my dd was sick it was $150 between all the doc visits and meds. so that's why I saw assume at least one co-pay. It could just be well visits for 9 months then one expenisve sick visit or ER trip.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• It depends on a number of things. If you live in PA or a state with similar laws your kids are all covered under state healthcare regardless of your income. So you won't have to worry about dr. fees.

If you decide on cloth diapers it's going to be a large cost to begin with but then you just wash them, so how much does an extra load cost a week?? If you go with disposables you can use Parents Choice and it's only about $30 a month... I have 2 boys and that's what we use, I spend about $60 a month on diapers and wipes for both of them.

You can also get Parents Choice baby food and baby wash items for around half price of the other stuff. They have organic food and cerial options that are great. The stuff is just as good as Gerber and so much cheaper. Also they have formula if you ever need it, again, great price.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Bottles can very in price too, but if you use the washable ones it's a one time thing. If you use liners like I did, it ran me about $10 every 2 weeks. (again Parents Choice)

Clothes can be a large expence but don't have to be. There are always great "lot" sales on ebay and usually free baby clothes in the paper and penny saver if you look. I rarely ever bought NEW clothes for my kids. Lets face it they are just going to poop and puke on it anyways.

If you have friends with older kids you can get the stuff pased to you too. Always great!

I recommend signing up with EVERY formula and diaper and baby company you can. Most will send you samples and if you don't use them you can sell them. I used to create new baby gift baskets and sell them on e-bay with all the stuff I got.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• If you start to put some money away now and start to shop early there's no reason you can't do things very cheaply. It only cost us $100-$200 a month extra. And if you have a shower you will end up with enough diapers to last you 2-3 months... I did.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Oh, and I bfed and there was NO extra cost for me! I never bought a special bra and WIC provided me with washable pads... There was NO COST!! So if that's the route you want to go, there is no reason it should HAVE to come with a price... In fact if you qualify for WIC you will get a free pump as well... I ended up getting 3 from them... And the stuff for your nipples I got free smaples of and when those were gone I bought a total of 1 tube and never used it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• i breast feed and only buy the little pre-packaged formulas enough for just one bottle, that way i dont have to buy a big can and have it expire on me before i use it all up. just thought that could be a helpful tip-- i wish someone would have told me to do that earlier on.

anyway, i spend about 80 a month on diapers, about 20 on wipes, and about 25 on baby food. then about 25 on rash cream, shampoo, etc. 15 on nursing pads and maybe 20 for unexpected expenses (toys, etc) primarily breastfeeding will cut a lot of expenses for formula. anyway, id estimate about 200 every month on baby expenses. but it always differs from family to family. good luck with your little one!!
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 3:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• It depends. Figure out what you spend a month on diapers, wipes, clothes, etc. Then add in daycare for while you are at work, that could be up to $1000 a month depending on where you live. Then add in extra diapers and wipes and food for daycare. Then figure out what you would make a month on average and subtract of the baby expenses.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2009