Scary night led to bad sleeping pattern

Okay here's my DS's story. When he was born he stayed in the bassinet in our room till he out grew it which was about six months then he always wanting to sleep in his bouncer. He slept in that till we had an episode of something scary. I dont know if anyone will believe me on this but one night when we were all sleeping DS in his bouncer and DH and I in bed. I woke up to DS screaming like never heard before and I went to go grab him and I seen something over him, i tried grabbing the baby and it felt like I pushed me away and I screamed. After I screamed we turned lights on and left the house. Since then my son had night terrors and couldn't sleep alone without them. I felt horrible letting him CIO so he co sleeps and has since. he has horrible sleeping patterns...goes to bed at 4-5am sleeps till 2-3pm naps at 7pm and at 10-11pm unless i wake him. No matter if I get him up early he still has this pattern. continued..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Should I put the crib up and make him CIO he sleeps in the same room as us we only have a one bedroom. What should I do?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Putting the crib in your room is a good idea... also, keep him awake for a long time... don't let him go to sleep when he usually does (make a bunch of coffee for yourself)... the plan is to tire him out as much as possible. When it gets time you want to go to bed, lay down with him in your bed. As soon as he goes to sleep, move him to the crib.

Did you move out of the house where the bad thing happened??
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 7:43 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• You let your child sleep in a bouncer? Have you ever thought about what that did to his little back? I don't mean to bash but that just wasn't a good idea. I think you should tell the dr what you did to let him check for a problem. As for sleeping now, putting him in a crib won't change his sleeping pattern but if it makes you feel better then try it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think letting him CIO would increase his fear of sleeping & bedtime. Until he is old enough to understand that night terrors, though terrifying, are not real, I would do what makes him most comfortable. However, true night terrors happen regardless of circumstances (including where he sleeps) so you can't avoid them though some things will help. As for the frightening event, remember that your reaction shapes his reaction, watch out for it to happen again, but don't let it overwhelm you or you will encourage his fear.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Have you tried soft music? He can listen to it until he falls asleep. Warm milk might help, right before he falls asleep. Having a night light in the room might help( if you don already use one). Singing to him might help. getting the room and/or home blessed, keeping a bible in the crib with him, keeping a bottle of holy water
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Whatever happened or didn't happen, you were all traumatized that night. And apparently letting him sleep with you hasn't really improved his sleep from what you describe. I do think you need to systematically do some things to get him to sleep at night, whether it is in your bed or in a crib is secondary at this point. The biggest reason people let their kids sleep in their bed (I did it too) is so that everyone can get some sleep at night and that isn't happening in your case. I think you need to severly limit sleeping during the day, and strongly encourage sleeping at night. It may take a few sleepless days and nights, but I think you need to work towards that goal. NIght=lights out and no playing or any kind of stimulation. Day time=lights on, noise and activity around the house..limited sleeping allowed. You don't say how old he is...and that would matter in terms of how much daytime sleeping you allow. Be structured.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 1:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2009