Do I go back to work?

I have the chance to go back to work and am very confused about what to do. I cry when I think of leaving my 18 month old with someone else (daycare), but the extra money would be nice in this tough economy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Can you work it out so hubby works one shift and you work another? I cringe at the thought of daycare too. If you DO have to use a daycare, I would speak with other parents who use that daycare, check their certifications, see if they have any pending lawsuits and complaints, and of course interview the director and teachers, review their policies (to make sure they are close to how you raise your LO) and last but not least--check out the costs. Many times it costs more for daycare, gas expenses etc than it would to stay home.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:54 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Anyway you can go back part time to start? Find a day care center that you feel comfortable with and leave your son there for a couple hours the first few days. Make suprise visits. YOu have to be comfortable with your day care or this will never work for you. Kids in day care do have an upside. They tend to be more socially open. Many daycares have preschool and work with the kids from infant up. They have a headstart on school.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• If it is financially doable then stay home. If it is 100 percent you will lose your house, utilities shut off then I guess you would have to go to work. Think of the extra expenses, daycare, gas, clothes for work, lunches, and see how much you would actually be making. I have an 11 month old and I couldnt just drop him.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Also just drop in to the daycare center so you can see what it is like when they are not expecting you. And be sure to weigh the cost of working to what you will be making Is there any way you can start back parttime to ease you and your baby into the new routine?
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:00 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• IF YOU JOB IS PRETTY MUCH JUST PAYING FOR DAY CARE I WOULD DEFINITELY STAY HOME!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• i went back to work after two months of being off with my daughter after she was born, it was hard and we could not find a babysitter we could feel comfortable with so i decided i was going to stay home and do babysitting to still bring home that income. i did that for 13 yrs and my children loves having me at home when they were little. now that they are teenagers they want me back to work and i did for 5 yrs now.
    lily7

Answer by lily7 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2009