Two weeks?

Do they always add two weeks to your date of conception even if that first week isn't the week of your last menstrual period? I measured a little bit farther along than my LMP so now that first week isn't when my period was....it's a different date.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That 2 weeks is based on a 28 day cycle which is the average, but not what all women have. Do you know when you conceived for sure? I did with mine and adding 2 weeks was only off by 2 days. Personally I don't think they should give due dates because the average human pregnancy is 36-43 weeks from time of conception. I think they should give a time period so women don't get fixated on one particular date. My kids both came 10 and 5 days early.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:21 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• my due date is may 16th. i think i concieved august 23rd. but that would mean august 9th was when i had my period...my period was a little late and i didnt get it until the 18th.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• These dates are all pretty much imaginary dates....The only thing you know for sure is what date you started your last period, which is why they tradititionally start with that date. Some of this stuff predates ultrasounds and other medical tests and that is all they had to work with. The due date is determined by counting weeks, but that is only a statistical average, not definite in your specific case. I don't even think you can necessarily figure out the date of conception after the baby is born because not all pregnancies last the exact same number of days. I can not imagine a reason why it is necessary to know the exact date of conception except in cases where there are different possible fathers. And even then, the dates won't really tell the whole story because you don't necessarily get pregnant the day you have sex. The sperm can live inside the mother for a period of time so the date can be other than what you think.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:28 PM on Mar. 28, 2009