Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how does a stay at home mom gain custody of her baby if going through divorce?

im a stay at home mom. i was married last year in june i was six months pregnant. fifteen days after i was married my husband began to hire prostitutes. i have been trying to make the marriage work but im fed up especially because now..hes smoking marijuana in the home. police officer refused to make a report and arrest him i dont understand why. i have no money saved, no job because i have been a stay at home mom doing online school full time. there arent any free lawyers in my area im all alone, no family or friends. please help me figure this out fellow mommies. i really need help and i must keep my baby away from my husband who is irresponsibly doing drugs here. i have considered a shelter but the officer said it could hurt me in my custody battle and that it was best to stay living with my husband. thanks for reading !!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (3)
  • 1st off the cops can be pretty pig headed with things like this, no i'm not saying all of them but some of them can! 2nd do you have an family you could stay with until you get a job? and if the cop wouldn't arrest him he still had to make a report, if they dont they can get in trouble so in court that will be on your side! i'm not sure what state you live in but here in va and most other states i've heard of its very difficult to take a child from a mother! he would have to prove you unfit, you could always call your local madestrate and ask some questions about the custody/childsupport battle and you can call social serivices or the salvation army they will all help you as much as you can to get away! your husband sounds like a slime bag !

    Answer by chloeconnor at 9:45 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

  • yes there are free lawyers. It's required of each lawyer to give back to the community and do pro bono work. Call the courthouse and ask the court clerk where to find the list of them. Our's is run through the court law library. There should also be a legal aid office somewhere. You can also call a family law office and ask the receptionist where you can go. You may be able to have the marriage annulled (and not go through a divorce) since it hasn't been a year yet. Some family lawyers will give a free consult. Look in the phone book for that and call. Hiring prostitutes is something you don't have to stand for. Once annulled then go to the state and get child support established. Sign up for Section 8 housing. When you sign up with the state for child support they can help you with medical, baby sitting, food stamps etc to get you on your feet.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:11 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

  • message me... i am a sahm and divorced.......

    Answer by smilingmomma at 11:09 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.