The word "Midget"?

I was wondering how many of you find the word midget offensive. I have a 3 1/2 year old with a form of dwarfism called Achonroplasia. For the most part, the PC terms are Little Person, Dwarf, or Short Stature.......But I don't think that midget is a bad word as long as it's not used as such....what are your feeling on this?

how_reb

Asked by how_reb at 9:21 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Its all about the context. I feel if someone is belittling a little person or using it in a negative context, then yes, I find it offensive.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:30 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• It is hard sometimes to know the polite & current Acceptable Word for someone or something! I have "Munchkin" Breed Short Leg Cats. People Call them Midgets! I guess if they don't know Better.. Can We Fault them? Take them with a Grain of salt.. Try not to let things bother you! Life is too short. Ignore the ignorant or mean types! Love & Adore your precious Child! That's the main thing!! I know you do.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:58 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Its all in how you interpret it. Some of the older generations are not going to change the way they speak. My grandma called African American's "colored" until the day she died. She meant no disrespect. I always told her she shouldn't say that, but you try to change what an 80 year old has been saying her whole life!! I don't think "Midget" is bad, but I don't know how it would feel if I were a little person, so I don't say it. There are some people who use the fact that they are little people to their advantage and to their amusement. No lie.... there is a bar in our area that has "Midget Mondays". A little person bartends on Monday nights. Its a big hit and he makes tons of tips! I don't think he minds being called a midget.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I grew up in a time when midget was the correct term, now I try to call them little people or dwarfs. I just try to use the terms that people are comfortable with. It's very hard because someone is always bound to get their panties in bunch about something. I try to teach my kids that people have conditions and not that the condition is the person.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I personally think that "little person" is almost more derogatory than "Midget".
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• i guess how it's used makes all the different... i prefer to call them a little person because if i was in their shoes i wouldn't want to be called a midget....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I agree about the term "Little Person" as if they are less than a person because they are short. UGH! I belong to a online group for parents of dwarf children, this topic always comes up and most people are just outraged because some said the word midget. It drives me nuts that they feel it's ok to talk about someone that says the word....since when does 2 wrongs make a right?
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 11:19 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I think it depends on how it is used. There is a little person at my sons middle school and she calls herself "vertically challenged", the other kids get a kick out of that. She also tells the boys to not make her mad, because if she swings to hit, it will be in a place they don't want to be hit. LOL!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I do not because when someone says the word midget I do not think of little people I think of the type of race car we have because they are called midgets!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 11:26 AM on Mar. 28, 2009