How do YOU live a simple life?

I am tired of suffering from PRS (Pack Rat Syndrome) and dealing with all the things that are taking over my home!

I would like to know how you ladies make your life (and cleaning routines!) easier by living more simply -- decluttering, etc. To give me a starting point.

Also, how do you deal with others who don't share your desire for simplicity? Examples: Trying to cut out TV especially for the kids, but DH turns it on for a good deal of time when he's home.

Or, DH's grandmother is the biggest packrat in the universe... no amount of pleading or "We don't have room" or "They have too much already!" will convince that lady to stop sending more yard sale/thrift store junky toys over to my house (made even more difficult because we live immediately next door to her, and can't afford to move right now)

Any and all ideas, comments, suggestions on all these things would be wonderful! Thanks ladies :)

Bazora

Asked by Bazora at 10:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I just go through one room at a time and either throw stuff away, put in a pile to give away, or find a place for it. I also, go through the house every once in a while and pick 10-15 things to get rid of.
    It takes constant effort to keep things clutter free, but it feels so much better when you know what you have and where it is!
    jeana

Answer by jeana at 10:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I have wanted simplicity for so long! I know my daughter and sons' agree, but try hard as we may this day and age makes it almost impossible. So we take what we can get, like my kids always have dinner together. They sit when there done and talk even if its a couple of min. They know someday when the kids get older it won't last but enjoy when they can. We also try to keep family traditions like family reunions, but those are about a thing of the past. Its hard, esp when you have grown up with it.
    BettyBoo108

Answer by BettyBoo108 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Why don't you ask her why she feels the need to do it,and maybe you could show her how much they have, and maybe she could give the toys to some other children that don't have any or a charity for kids. Let her know that you know she loves the kids and you and the kids love her as well. Sometimes grandmas just feel needed.
    BettyBoo108

Answer by BettyBoo108 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• i think its called flylady.com,not sure tho... helped mne with decluttering...
    As for the toys, tell your kids about children who dont have toys due to, reasons...homeless, children at children homes waiting for foster familys...etc... and have them make a big pile of toys they want the other children to have....easy and great way to get rid of unwanted toys, then when grandma asks hey what happened to those toys the kids can tell her we gave them too etc.......
    as for the rest of your home....if you havent touched it or used it in 6 months to a year you dont need it...have a garage sell make some extra cash, what doesnt sell give to goodwill....
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 2:24 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I go through a few things a day (like a cabinet, or if Im feeling zealous, a whole room) and find things. If I havent used it for 6 months, or cant remember using it or dont know if I would use it in another 6 months (make sence? lol)-- it needs to go. Helps me keep from packing things I dont really need. As for TV.. if you know hubby is going to turn it on when he gets home, keep it off (or unplug it!) for the whole day until that time. If you need to watch it, find a program you can discuss. My hubby and I watch Wife Swap and discuss the different parenting styles on there.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 3:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• pick one room a week, and focus on decluttering and cleaning. Take everything out of that room, and scrub it down. Then little by little start bringing back things in the room that you can give a home too and that are needed. If it's not needed and doesn't have a spot, keep it out of the room. When you are done with the whole house, look at everything that doesn't have a place, and either throw it out, sell it, or donate it to someone else. If you do this every 6 months, it helps keep down the clutter.

So does buying storage friendly furniture. Ex. a bench seat in the dinning room helps store napkins and table clothes that are only used a few times a year. Or can be placed by the front entrance and used to store gloves and hats.

as for day to day cleaning? I normally pick a chore and day and make out a chore chart. This way I do one thing a day to help keep up with the house.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Spring cleaning is a great time to go thru everything. Sort out three piles trash, keep and garage sale. With money being tight for everyone, perfect time to have a garage sale and make a profit off of everyone else "pack rat" lifestyle. Also just cuz DH turns it on, doesn't mean you have to watch. Outdoor activities now that spring is coming (hopefully) will help the kids and maybe DH will become involved too.
    lmaywild1

Answer by lmaywild1 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 29, 2009