Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

birth cirt. paperwork?

my childs father is incarcerated and will be untill she is 18 months. my question is, don't i need his signature to put his name on her birth cirt? i read somewhere that i need his signature since hes not going to be at the birth. He knows he's the father and he has no problem with his name going on the birth cirt but i want to find the paper work now to get his signature so i have it when i have her.

Answer Question

Asked by aidensmommy2009 at 10:58 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • If you are married then you do not need his sig. If you are not, than you cannot fill out the paperwork until after the child is born. However, you do not have ot file it with his sig right away, it can be taken to him and signed after the birth.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

  • Thats how my first one was done, we put his name on it when he was about 2 weeks old. Here it's called affidavidt for paternity, and you can get the paper at the hspital or at the dept ov vital statistics, some states you can get it online, but he has to fill it out and sign it. Then turn it in and they will ammend it and mail you a copy.

    Answer by AK_aries at 11:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

  • Do you want him on there? If he is, he will have legal rights...... What kind of father will he be when he gets out???? Think about that!

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

  • Wow Anon. You are assuiming he did some horrible thing. He could be a good person that made a big mistake, that does happen and doesn't mean he will be a bad parent. Also, he would have legal rights even if he wasn't on the birth certificate, he is still the bio father.

    You should be able to get the paperwork at the hosptial or vital statistics office, he can fill it out and send it in or to you to take in. He may have to have it witnessed by someone at the jail.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

  • thank you tyfry....wooo. that was pretty presumptuous....goodness.

    but on the question, if you aren't married you will have to have him sign the paternity affidavidt (sorry sp?). my SO just signed it at the hospital. I dont know how it is done ahead of time or anything like that. I could ask my mom since my Bio dad ran out as soon as he found out my mom was pregnant. i have never seen my original birth certificate only the one with my adopted dad on it.

    Answer by aly38914290 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.