Why do people say they don't believe in God because they have no proof that he exists?

People always say that "the bible was written by man,so I don't believe it".But they believe everything else written by man.A history book was written by man and none of those people are around today for you to have proof that all that stuff happened.But people choose to believe that.I don't get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hold on who says I believe the history books? Of course I wasn't going to flunk history because of my beliefs. I believe in what I can see and what I have experienced. The bible is very contradicting and society has twisted what the bible is all about. And Christians make it seem evil when you don't go to church or worship God. Its all confusing to me so I just leave it alone.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 11:11 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Reguarding God, we are physical creatures and need physical evidence for everything. Some people just can't take things on faith alone.
    hdb

Answer by hdb at 11:15 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I guess this is where faith comes in. Some people just have faith. Others don't. That's just the way it is, I guess.

Me? I see the evidence of God all around me every day. The grass, the sky, the trees, my children, the love of my husband . . . to me, it all comes from God. But then, I have Faith.

To someone with no faith, these things are all just there. Just coincidence.

BTW - "faith" is not limited only to faith in God. I mean faith in a higher power or deity, no matter what your religion.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• History, too, should be taken with a grain of salt. However, history doesn't address ethereal matters. If we choose to believe that Napoleon lost the battle of waterloo we can do that based on reason and it can be verified for us by numerous sources. If we choose to believe that a creator exists that is omnipotent based on one source and not grounded in reason or observation, that is a very different issue all together.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I guess for some people it's easier to believe we evolved from a single simple cell or we were planted here by aliens...no one has proof but I'll put my faith in God.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• History is written by the winners. The bible was written by man. And the bible isn't even correct historically... did any of you know that Nazareth DID NOT EXIST until 100+ years AFTER jesus christ supposedly lived? Did you know that christ is a title- and many men around jc's supposed time carried that title? Did you know how closely christianity mimics many of the various religions that were around at the time- it was trying to seduce followers over. I see absolutely ZERO evidence of god in this world. I see a lot of explanation stories that PEOPLE wrote to try and soothe their fears about unexplained happenings in the natural world. I also see that we now have the knowledge via science to answer most of those questions- completely. I choose to use my powerful brain and logic to look at the world around me- it is wondrous- that does not mean it was created specially for us...

mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 11:28 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• It is much easier to believe we evolved from a single cell- scientists have recreated conditions in a lab from *early days* LOL and created that simple single cell from the materials that were present at the time. On the other hand- god and evidence for his/its/her existence is sorely lacking=0. Faith makes no sense to me. Logic, on the other hand- makes a lot of sense.
    We are animals, and there is nothing special about us- except what WE make out of our lives. The Earth was not created as our grocery store- we are a part of it; if we do not take care- we too will disappear (dinosaur-like... actually, since birds are advanced dinos, that isn't even true... we'd be more like Dodo Birds and Passenger Pigeons-gone)(those were chosen specifically since we as humans are the cause of their disappearance).
    A better ? would be- WHY DO YOU BELIEVE IN GOD- SINCE THERE IS NONONO PROOF THAT HE EXISTS???
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• A better ? would be- WHY DO YOU BELIEVE IN GOD- SINCE THERE IS NONONO PROOF THAT HE EXISTS???

I guess I would go back to my previous answer:

"I guess this is where faith comes in. Some people just have faith. Others don't. That's just the way it is, I guess.

To someone with no faith, these things are all just there. Just coincidence . . ."

It's all about faith.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• This question has already come up recently, but I'll go ahead and answer it again... history books were written by men but there as at least SOME historical proof that what is in the history books happened... even if what they say has been skewed over time, as the bible has. For example, do I think the Trojan War happened exactly as Homer wrote it? No. But we do know that a war DID happen there around that timeframe and Troy was destroyed. Other historical events were of course documented at the time, and the documents survive. On the other hand, there is no "proof" god exists except for a book which has been traslated and carved up multiple times, adapted, and written by numerous people who added and subtracted from it. The Vatican decided what went into the bible, and as far as I can tell ,were more concerned with convincing people to bow to god than historical accuracy. Also, history books don't tell me what to do...
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Con't
    Or that I'll go to hell if I don't follow exactly what it says. I agree with the above poster... it is up to someone who believes to prove god DOES exist in this arguement, and as the bible is written by men, it is NOT proof. I could try to convince you aliens exist. If you don't believe in them, what would you say? You'd want proof. And if I said, "well, I can't see them, hear them, feel them, and they haven't spoken to me directly yet" you'd (general You) probably say, "that means they don't exist!"
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2009