Where do I put my child at in my new car?

I know this sounds stupid, but I just got a van. I have never owned one before, and not sure where to put my 9 month old. He is still rear facing as to every child should be until a year. Just not sure 2nd or third row left or right side. Thanks for helping

Jasesmommee

Asked by Jasesmommee at 11:30 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In the back middle as long as there are are latches there. Most have them there. It is the safest spot in the entire car.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:31 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I put mine in the middle row middle seat, but if you have the kind where it's not a bench seat in the middle row, than the back row definately in the middle seat.
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 11:48 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• That's weird, I would have said in the middle row on the right side so that you can reach them. I always keep kids at an arms reach in the car. I've also heard that the back row is most dangerous. Maybe it would be best to call your local police department. They usually have an officer who is specially trained in car seat safety. He'll have the best advice for you.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:59 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Mine always had to go behind the passenger seat because if they were behind the drivers seat I couldn't put the seat back far enough for me to drive.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• It's middle row middle seat. kids are suppoused to be oriented towards the center of the car because its the safest area.
    Anonymous

• I have a van too. If you have captains chairs in the 2nd row, I would put her in either one of those. They are just about equally as safe, so either side would be fine.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Well, the safest place is where you get the best install. If you get an good install in every seat, I'd go with the middle row, center if possible.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• i never thought of this.. both my boys went middle row
    smilingmomma

Answer by smilingmomma at 10:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2009