Are you REALLY informed about VBAC?

There is so much mis information on VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) from it's more dangerous than repeat c-section to moms with babies over 8 lbs can't VBAC (my VBAC baby was 8 lbs 6 oz).

Check out these sites:

www.vbac.com
www.i-canonline.org

Then tell me if you learned anything new you didn't know about VBAC.

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• These two sites actually helped me come to the decision to have a VBAC with this pregnancy. I am hoping and praying that this will be a positive VBAC and that I dont have to have another CSEC.
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• newmommy61207
    These two sites actually helped me come to the decision to have a VBAC with this pregnancy. I am hoping and praying that this will be a positive VBAC and that I dont have to have another CSEC.

I am excited for you! VBAC was the best choice I ever made, IMO. Don't let your doc scare you out of it either - mine tried to. I was actually scheduled for a c-section and went into labor the Friday before. They went so far as to ask me WHY I didn't want a repeat c and didn't' I just want to "get it over with". Yeah. Needless to say, I had my VBAC and it was the coolest experience I've ever had!
    Good luck!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• I am glad that as of now I don't have to make this very hard decision....
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 11:57 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Thank you, actually our hospital is the only in the state to do VBACs and I am seeing a Midwife who is all for it and thinks that it will be a good outcome. So I will let you know in about a month or so!!
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• It is a serious decision, and there are risks....it should be taken lightly, that is for sure. We don't get pregnant to have good pregnancies and glorious birthing experiences...the goal is the healthy baby and of course, a healthy mother to take care of the baby!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Bjoan, that is not true. Birth is a VERY important aspect of being pregnant. It's a life changing beautiful experience that many women in the US don't even get to enjoy because our maternity care system in the US sucks. Every wants a healthy baby, and yes, that is the goal, but how a baby is born is important.. and birth brings a healthy baby into this world, many aspects of birth actually endanger a child especially with greedy OB's and hospital staff who don't understand what a natural birth is.

I have never had to make the decision to VBAC, but would do it in a heartbeat. In most cases it is safer than a repeat cesarean. I would find a VBAC friendly midwife as opposed to an OB because OB's tend to care more about liability and money, then they do the women and her choice.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• celticreverie

I think she meant "it should NOT be taken lightly".
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Thank you for this information. After having my first, my hospital actually asked me how i wanted to deliver my second. Because they asked me, I didn't realize that hospitals are banning vbacs. So Yay to my hospital for being VBAC friendly! And yay to my doctor for not pushing me into a repeat section.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Jennijune, I was responding to this line of hers: We don't get pregnant to have good pregnancies and glorious birthing experiences.

I read it as "shouldn't be taken lightly" I just wanted to state that birth is a very important part of pregnancy and motherhood.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2009