My 1 year old has a fever of 102.5-103.

The doctor said she could run the fever for three days, but I don't feel comfortable with her having a fever for an extensive amount of time...

adahsae

Asked by adahsae at 10:38 PM on Jul. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Switch between baby motrin and baby tylenol. Keep her in light cotton clothing, no heavy covers. Wash her face and any other exposed skin with a cool cloth. Hold her as much as you can and pay her special attention. :) And above all: Keep her hydrated. It is remarkable how easily small children become dehydrated and that is very, very serious!
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 10:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2008

• give her some meds to help cut down her fever and try giving her a cool bath...keep fluids in her.... Is she teething or is she sick??
    mom2girliegirls

Answer by mom2girliegirls at 10:47 PM on Jul. 30, 2008

• My husband and I have had a virus...so apparently she has it now. The doctor says it is affecting her in a different way though. He said that 102 is just the bottom of how high he has seen a fever from this virus. We just moved and have only been to this doctor twice...maybe I just don't trust him yet. Her previous doctor was amazing! I am giving her tylenol and motrin, but her fever never seems to go away. Even with a bath it just lowers. I worry too much! :)
    adahsae

Answer by adahsae at 10:50 PM on Jul. 30, 2008

• Just try to keep it at 102 or lower. This is her body's way of getting better, of getting rid of whatever is making her sick. Making the fever go away completely takes away that weapon.

Alternate baby motrin and baby tylenol every 4 hours...
    baby motrin at noon
    baby tylenol at 4pm
    baby motrin at 8pm
    etc

If that doesn't bring the fever under 102, try lukewarm baths. Don't use cold water, just slightly warmer than room temp is fine.

Also, make sure she gets plenty of liquids. If she will take it, give her pedialyte. When she won't accept it anymore, you'll know she's nearly better. It doesn't taste very good to healthy kids but sick ones usually love it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 30, 2008

• Did your doctor say anything about your baby having or possibly having roseola virus. My daughter had it when she was that age and then again about 5 months ago. They run a very high fever for a couple of days and then a rash will break out on their tummy and chest and sometimes other places. We had to keep Harley in a cool bath a lot or put room temp to cool wash cloths on her to keep her temp down and then manage it with tylenol and motrin. Just a possiblity. Good luck.
    Oldham80

Answer by Oldham80 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 30, 2008

• I totally agree with you fevers SCARE the HECK out of me.....but I have 6 mama and it will be ok just if it does not go down with med..and goes over 103. take to ER....but otherwise just give tylenol and Motrin depending on age with Motrin but just alternate and leave clothing off...cool baths ..and lots of cool liquids..good luck mama

BUSYMAMA5

Answer by BUSYMAMA5 at 1:32 AM on Jul. 31, 2008

• Rubbing alcohol always helped me, ofcourse you don't drink it. Put some on your hand and rub on back, stomach, and legs, you'd be supprised how it helps fever go down.Good luck
    Mrs_Bonsta

Answer by Mrs_Bonsta at 6:05 AM on Jul. 31, 2008

• I have 5 and like the other moms mentioned this is normal for little ones. I get scared whenever my little ones get fever because I don't know what is wrong, but if it's due to an infection, it needs time to run its course. When you understand that they get fevers as a bod'y way of ighting infection, it's not so scary. I just like to know what's going on and I don't like to see them sick, but little ones inevitably get sick sometimes and as long as the fever doesn't get too high or last for more than 5 days, your little one should be fine. The doctors would really get annoyed with me running to the hospital everytime my 12 year old got fever lol. But in time I learned when a trip to the E.R. is warranted. I also learned to trust my gut and if your baby seems lethargic or not drinking enough take her in to the clinic just to get reassured that she's not getting dehydrated.
    With that being said, give plenty fluids and use the meds to keep the fever down as instructed by the docto
    makeitlast4ever

Answer by makeitlast4ever at 8:59 AM on Jul. 31, 2008

• Thank you guys so much for your input!
    adahsae

Answer by adahsae at 9:58 PM on Jul. 31, 2008